Features, Column

Tree Lighting Ceremony Ignites Christmas Spirit

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and Boston College spares no expense when it comes to spreading holiday cheer. As one of the premier Jesuit universities in the world, BC prides itself on the many festive offerings taking place across campus. Performances appear to be virtually everywhere, as dance teams, a capella groups, and musical ensembles show off their abilities at free and ticketed events. Popular productions included Boston College Dance Ensemble’s Spectrum, the Bostonians’ Christmas cafe, Sexual Chocolate, Phaymus, BC’s Fall Show, and the Heightsmen’s Fall Cafe. Each event was well attended and highly enjoyable.

BC’s very own Meyer Chambers, Campus Minister for Liturgical Arts, spoke at this semester’s last Agape Latte event, held last Tuesday in Hillside. Christmas and Thanksgiving are arguably some of the most reflective times during the year, in which people put aside their hectic schedules in order to eat, laugh, and talk with friends and family, both near and far. Meyer chose students in the crowd to give bell-ringing a try, an opportunity that left everyone laughing as the chiming instrument seemed to be less in harmony than a dissonant clamor. Students joined Meyer in singing age-old Christmas carols, from “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer” to “Jingle Bell Rock.” The convivial atmosphere, coupled with yule log cake and Santa-shaped cookies, left many students as happy as their stomachs were full.

For those who missed the opportunity at Agape Latte to spare dining hall bucks and take advantage of free food, another opportunity arose during BC’s annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony the following night on Wednesday, Dec. 4 in O’Neill Plaza. The two-hour event offered everything from a cookie frosting station to live music performed by groups such as the Bostonians, Against the Current, the Dynamics, and the Christian Choir.

Just when things seemed to be getting dull, police sirens could be heard circling the perimeter and students were in search of its source. Crowds of people rushed toward BCPD vehicles to find none other than Santa Clause himself in the passenger seat. Available for flash photography, Santa’s visit was a huge hit.  It was not until 6:30 p.m. that University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J. stepped onto the stage to wish students a “Merry Christmas” that the lighting ceremony came to close. He looked at the tree and said, “Let there be light,” and light there was.

Although our school clearly has good intentions, oftentimes the level of overwhelming Christmas spirit subjects students to less than favorable circumstances. One such drawback is the widespread and dangerous elevation of blood glucose levels caused by the overconsumption of sugar cookies, frosting, hot chocolate, candy canes and Peeps marshmallows.

The number of students that admitted to have gotten high on sugar in the past week, and those who plan on doing so in the upcoming weeks, make up a great portion of the student body.

Many students have made the regrettable mistake of eating their pseudo-gingerbread cookie gingerbread houses from the O’Connell House decorating event last Thursday. Many of these unfortunate people believe they consumed what would be considered a house of cardboard and suggest that gingerbread houses should henceforth not be eaten but rather admired.