Football

Murphy Transfer Official

Boston College’s quarterback depth chart picked up another dual-threat option, as Tyler Murphy officially transferred to Chestnut Hill from the University of Florida. BC’s Athletics Department confirmed the move on Wednesday morning.

Murphy has one year of eligibility remaining and will enroll as a fifth-year graduate student. He is expected to battle for the starting job left by Chase Rettig.

The transfer quarterback, who graduated from UF in December, will reunite with Steve Addazio. BC’s head coach—who led the team to a 7-6 record in his first season at Alumni Stadium—played a role in bringing Murphy to the Gainesville during his time as an offensive coordinator at the Swamp.

Standing at 6-foot-2 and 206 pounds, Murphy took over for the Gators after starting quarterback Jeff Driskel was injured in the team’s third game of the season. After his fellow junior went down against Tennessee, Murphy was able to throw for 134 yards and a touchdown, which he supplemented with 84 yards of rushing and a score on the ground.

The newest member of the Eagles is primarily a passer, but Murphy has the ability to bust out of the backfield for big gains. His longest rush of the year was for 28 yards against Tennessee, and he was able to pick up first downs on the ground in five of the seven appearances in which he looked to run the ball.

When Murphy started under center for the Gators, the team’s record was 2-4.

Murphy completed 112 of 185 passes for 1,216 yards until a shoulder injury saw him relieved of his starting duties after he threw three interceptions in a loss to Vanderbilt. Before his season came to a close, the Connecticut-native threw six touchdown passes, but was picked off five times by SEC defenses.

A lack of protection cost the quarterback’s performances, as Murphy was sacked 22 times on the year.

Ian Silberman, an offensive lineman for the Eagles who recently enrolled in BC, was part of Murphy’s guard last year. The 6-foot-5, 303-pound Silberman started four games for the Gators last season. He was originally headed to Louisville, but after Charlie Strong departed to fill Texas’ head coaching position, the player committed to Boston College.

BC’s quarterback depth is extensive yet inexperienced. Without Retting and Mike Marscovetra returning, junior Josh Bordner, sophomore Christian Suntrup, freshmen James Walsh and Darius Wade, along with red-shirt freshman Austin Lommen will compete for the spot.