Metro, Column

Not Your Average Sports Town

I’ve lived in Boston for over a semester, and I believe that time has allowed me to really get acclimated to the city. One of the things I’ve noticed: Boston is a sports town. And not just any ordinary sports town, but it is the best sports city in America. What’s remarkable is that Boston views itself as different, special-perhaps even better than others.

Just like any other sports nut, I’ve had a list of teams and athletes that have always received my full support through thick and thin, and I believed my home state of Minnesota was fortunate to have such a passionate fan base.

But as I hopped off the T at North Station and ventured toward the Beanpot with hundreds of students donning their school colors, I passed by the famous statue of Bobby Orr and the countless banners displaying the success of both the Bruins and Celtics at The Garden. It hit me that the all of the hype of Boston’s culture, tradition, and dedication to its sports was in fact true.

Here are a few reasons why Boston is the sports Hub of America:

Success-There’s no better measure of a city’s sports dominance than the number of championships its teams have accumulated. Between all of the major sports teams in Boston-the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins-Boston has collected eight championships since the turn of the century. This nudges Boston ahead of New York and Los Angeles as the most in the country.

Passion-Bostonians have no idea what it means to be a ‘fair weather’ sports fan. Boston has Pats Nations, Celtics Nation, Red Sox Nation, and B’s Nation-all of which are equally important, depending on the season. They may be smug and voice distaste for their team’s misfortune, but that’s only because they care.

Whether it is a technical foul call on Rajon Rando, or a called third strike on David Ortiz, Boston fans make sure they let their opinions be known. Each year, Bostonians crave to see a Duck Boat parade capping off a championship victory. And, usually, they do.

History-Disregard for a minute the Bruins’ six Stanley Cups, the Celtics’ 17 NBA titles, the Red Sox’s century-old ballpark, and even Tom Brady.

Although Boston has a strong track record of winning teams, I want to talk about actual history. The Battle of Bunker Hill, the Boston Tea Party, the Boston Massacre, the midnight ride of Paul Revere-these are the stories of what Boston’s history is really about.

I learned about these events at an early age, but those lessons occurred far from here. If you’re a Boston kid learning about these great lessons in American history, you realize this is your home turf.

Much of the American Revolution took place in New England, and if you’re sitting in your eighth grade classroom listening to Ms. Flotten talk about John Quincy Adams and JFK, you appreciate the rich history Boston has to offer.

If you’re raised being told that your city is better than everyone else’s, wouldn’t you believe it? Sure the Patriots have the winningest quarterback-coach combo in NFL history, the Celtics have the most NBA championships in the league’s history, and the Bruins have 47 players in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Boston’s deep sports history, however, is not just made up of Super Bowls, Stanley cups, and Beanpots. Instead, it’s part of something much bigger.

There’s no denying that sports are an integral part of Boston’s heritage. Truly, sports fans are blessed here in the Hub of America.

We’ve got shots heard ’round the world every day.