Sports, Spring, Women's Tennis

ROUNDUP: Women’s Tennis Keeps On Rolling

The Boston College women’s tennis team continued its hot start to the season with wins over Harvard and UMass Amherst on Saturday and Sunday. The Eagles defeated the Minutemen 4-3 on Sunday to improve to 7-0 on the season behind strong performances from Lexi Borr, Heini Salonen, and Jennifer Ren. On Saturday, BC defeated rival Harvard in a match that pitted two nationally ranked teams against each other. Borr once again put forth a solid effort, winning the opening doubles match with teammate Jessica Wacnik. Katya Vasilyev and Emily Safron were also key performers for the Eagles, who will open up conference play on Friday when they travel to North Carolina.

There was less success on the men’s side, as the Eagles continued to struggle in the early stages of the season, dropping each of their two games to Bryant and Virginia Tech to fall to 2-5 on the year. Virginia Tech dominated the Eagles all day, winning 7-0 with every match in straight sets. BC’s loss dropped it to 0-2 in ACC play. The Eagles are off until Feb. 26, when they travel to Providence to take on Brown.

The women’s track team took part in a pair of competitions over the weekend, running at the Iowa State Classic and the Brown Invitational. The Eagles sent four members of their team to Iowa State to run the 5,000 meters. Liv Westphal was the best of the four, placing 17th in the race, and all three competitors met the ACC qualifying standard. At Brown, Claudia DiSomma took first in the 800 meters while Kathy O’Keefe came in second in the same race. Molly O’Dea managed to take second in the 60 meter prelims and the 400 meters.

The men’s and women’s fencing teams both had their Beanpot this week, facing off with Harvard, Brandeis, and MIT at the Malkin Athletic Center. The men were soundly beaten by Harvard in their opening match, falling by a score of 26-1 in a match in which they were dominated from start to finish. The women fared no better, as they too were routed by the Crimson. Harvard’s men and women won their seventh straight fencing Beanpots on Wednesday, thoroughly dominating their competition all day.

BC’s ski teams competed in the Williams Winter Carnival over the weekend as well. BC placed 13th out of 15 teams while Vermont won by a comfortable margin. BC’s best score came in the men’s giant slalom event, where they placed eighth.Vermont finished first or second in every event, while BC routinely finished toward the bottom of the pack.