Cycle Charity Serves As Moving Memorial To Alum

Cycle for Survival fills spin room, meets its fundraising goal for rare cancer research

Yesterday, Boston College hosted Cycle for Survival, a charity that raises money for rare cancer research, for the second time in the Flynn Recreation Complex. The event was held in honor of Lisa Gallup, BC ’09, who died from cancer in Dec. 2012 and was involved with Cycle prior to her diagnosis. Her parents-Director of Football Operations Barry Gallup and his wife, Victoria-her brother, Barry Jr., and the field hockey coach, Ainslee Lamb, were instrumental in continuing her legacy and have accomplished a great deal with the staging of both of the events. Coaches, athletes, administrators, and students cycled in the spin studio in intervals from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. to raise money in memory of Lisa.

After working with the foundation in New York, Lisa began work to bring the first Cycle event to Boston, which was held last year, three months after she died. The Gallups have collaborated with BC’s athletic teams, whose members signed up for blocks of time to ride. This year, they met their goal of raising $10,000.

The opportunity to raise money for rare cancer research is a significant one for members of the BC community. The organizers have done an excellent job coordinating the event, and it is one that they should continue in years to come, as a moving tribute to an alumna who cared deeply about raising money for research.

About The Heights Editorial Board 350 Articles
The editorial board of The Heights is composed of a group of elected Heights editors. They are responsible for discussing and writing editorials, which represent the opinion of the newspaper.