Opinions, Editorials

An Overdue Update For Our Website

In May, The Heights announced the launch of a revamped website in the fall. While our blogs were updated sporadically over the summer months, the main website was down for maintenance. Today, the new and improved BCHeights.com has officially launched, and can be accessed by desktop, tablet, and smartphone.

This website redesign has been in the works for over a year and has been overdue for even longer. The old iterations of our website were clunky, unresponsive, and did not adequately serve our readers or our writers—explicable back in 2006, perhaps, but less forgivable in recent years. Our new site is, we believe, a significant effort to address the areas in which we have lagged behind.

Up until now, another organization held the BCHeights.com domain and served as a middleman for the publishing and configuration of content—along with the aesthetic redesign of the site, The Heights has also ceased its partnership with that outside company. The Heights, Inc. has complete control over and ownership of the new site, which will allow us to respond quickly to design and functionality concerns and to integrate multimedia elements, better showcasing our contributors’ work and providing a more reader-friendly experience.

In addition to serving as a platform for The Heights’ content, we hope that the new BCHeights.com will facilitate discussion and our readers’ involvement to a greater degree than in the past. We have updated the comments system and the submission form for Letters to the Editor. There is also an events calendar on this site, which we anticipate will become a comprehensive, organized collection of events that are of interest to Boston College students. All individuals and groups are encouraged to submit events for the calendar, to ensure that all relevant information is easily accessible.

Our physical paper will continue to be printed twice per week, on Mondays and Thursdays. As our online presence grows and improves, we look forward to refining our print issues as well, so that readers can expect quality content from The Heights week in and week out.