Arts, Off Campus

This Weekend In Arts: Boston Calling, SOWA Open Market, And More

Bollyx

Thursday 9/5, 6 p.m.
East meets West at the Esplanade Association’s BollyX, an Indian dance/workout extravaganza held at the DCR Memorial Hatch Shell on the Charles River. The free fitness event will include music, prizes, and healthy snacks. No prior experience is required.

Boston Calling

Friday 9/5 to Sunday 9/7
“Royals” star Lorde reigns supreme on Saturday, as she headlines this fall’s annual Boston Calling music festival at City Hall Plaza with The National and Nas x the Roots. Three-day, weekend, and single day passes for the concert are available online at fall.bostoncalling.com.

‘Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner’

Friday 9/5 to Sunday 10/5
The Huntington Theater invites you to be its guest as it stages Todd Kreidler’s comedy, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner. Starring The Cosby Show actor Malcolm Jamal Warner, the play is about what happens when a young woman brings her African American fiance home to meet her liberal, white parents. Visit huntingtontheatre.org for showtimes and tickets.

ICA First Fridays: Endless Summer

Thursday 5/1, 3:30 p.m.
The Institute of Contemporary Art isn’t letting go of summer just yet, and you shouldn’t either. Join the museum as it celebrates the season with specialty cocktails, a pop-up oyster bar, live music, and even a local caricaturist—all on the Boston Harbor at sunset. The event is 21-plus, free for members, and $15 for nonmembers.

Make Music Boston

Thursday 9/5 and Friday 9/6, 6 p.m.
Take the T to South Station and catch local indie-folk acts perform at the Lawn on D, a new, outdoor interactive space for public and private events. The 2.7-acre green hosts numerous free programs, including Make Music Boston. For directions, hours, or more information, see lawnond.com.

SOWA Open market

Sunday 9/7, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Local artisans, farmers, and food trucks come together in South Boston on Sunday mornings for the SOWA Open Market, located on Harrison Avenue. For more information, go to newenglandopenmarkets.com/sowa.

Wifredo Lam: Imagining New Worlds

Ongoing
Chronicling the development of Wifredo Lam’s (1902–82) Picasso-inspired style, the McMullen Museum’s latest exhibit explores the cultural, political, and literary influences of the global artist’s work. More than 40 paintings are on display, some of which are considered Lam’s greatest masterpieces. Admission is free.

Featured Image Courtesy of the ICA