Sports, Fall

Field Hockey Edges UMass At Home

For most college students, Sundays are for resting, homework, and laundry. For the Boston College field hockey team, Sunday was an opportunity to fight its way toward becoming one of the top-10 field hockey teams in the country, and to redeem itself for last year’s 4-2 loss to UMass. The focus of coach Ainslee Lamb’s team was energy and work rate, and Lamb said its mantra on Sunday was was “refuse to lose.” The No. 13 ranked Eagles successfully completed that goal against the No. 10 Minutewomen as they pulled off their first home win of the season with a score of 2-0.

BC started out of the gate strong and put pressure on the UMass defense while maintaining possession for the majority of the first half. The Minutewomen successfully found small cracks in BC’s defense but were unable to capitalize on the breakaways. The Eagles continued to press their opponents and on their second corner attempt they were able to put a tally on the scoreboard. Brittany Sheenan sent a smooth pass to Eryn McCoy, who set the ball to her sister Emily McCoy in order to go one up and send “Who Let the Dogs Out” erupting from the Newton Field Hockey Field.

UMass used the deficit as motivation and took charge on offense. They were able to break into the circle and cause a BC penalty in order to set up their first corner of the game with 17 minutes left in the half. The Minutewomen were unable to take advantage of the penalty, but Brooke Sabia fought back and forced BC’s goalkeeper, Leah Settipane, to make an incredible save with stick.

The Eagles then took control and were able to carry the ball down into UMass territory. The 2-on-1 breakaway almost guaranteed a BC goal, but Leah Frome’s flick hit the crossbar. She was able to quickly take the rebound and put it past the Minutewomen’s keeper, Sam Carlino, in the final minutes of the first half, though.

The second half proved to be less monumental as both teams showed their defensive strengths by shutting out the other team.

BC had a series of corners but the players were unable to find the back of the goal. UMass found energy again and rushed the field and gave a scare to the BC defense. If it was not for a foot penalty, the Minutewomen would have had an open shot on goal midway through the second half. The remainder of the half went back and fourth as each team attempted to break through the other team’s defense and score. BC’s final attempt on goal came with 1:40 left from Emma Plasteras.

Lamb credits the team’s success to the coaching staff of Kelly Doton and Carolyn Cahill for preparing the defense. “Having the kids actually stepping up and implementing what they’re learning [from the staff], it’s just such a kudos to that group that they did such a good job today,” Lamb said.

Featured Image by Graham Beck / Heights Senior Staff