Expanding Cultural Horizons In The McMullen With Wifredo Lam

The opening of Wifredo Lam: Imagining New Worlds in the McMullen Museum marks the emergence of Boston College’s art museum in the ranks of nationally recognized art institutions. The unprecedented exhibit features upward of 40 works of the late Cuban Surrealist—many coming from private collectors. The rare collection of Lam’s painting and sculptures took a decade to curate, with Elizabeth Goizueta, a professor who teaches in the Hispanic Studies program, at the forefront. Goizueta travelled to multiple continents in her research of Lam’s extraordinary life and work. The completed exhibit reflects the extensive research behind it, as well as the strong push by Nancy Netzer, director of the McMullen Museum, to advance the institution’s reputation and offerings.

Considering the recent announcement of the McMullen’s future move to Brighton Campus, Imagining New Worlds is a strong indicator that the museum’s facilitators are moving in a positive direction. Lam’s work fits well with the transnational identity of BC students and faculty, and speaks to the University’s intellectual commitment to cultural inclusion.

Undergraduates would be remiss to ignore the exhibit, which is located in Devlin Hall. The McMullen’s future relocation will allow for its expansion, but it is also worth noting that additional effort will be required by the museum to continue engaging undergraduates at the Brighton location. If the McMullen continues to bring impressive showings like Lam’s to BC, it would be a shame for students not to frequent future collections, as well.

Featured Image by John Wiley / Heights Editor