Sports, Fall

Columbus Day Weekend Roundup

Sailing

The Boston College coed sailing team claimed second place in this weekend’s New England Match Race Championship, losing 2-0 to No. 1 Yale in the competition’s finals. While the BC sailors failed to upset the title-defending Ivy Leaguers, their second-place finish qualified them for the ICSA Match Racing National Championship in November—another opportunity to challenge Yale.

Swimming

BC’s Flynn Complex Aquatics Center hosted the 2014 North East Catholic Invitational, with swimming teams competing on Friday and Saturday. Apparently comfortable at home, the BC swim team dominated the overall competition. The women earned an 878-point meet score, leading the second-place Saint Francis (Pa.) team by 482, and the men recorded a 1,011-point meet score, putting them ahead of second-place Iona College by 528. Among the main contributors to BC’s success was junior record-challenger Dan Kelly, who swam the 50-yard freestyle in just over 21 seconds to earn first-place honors.

Women’s Golf

The five-person Boston College women’s golf team finished fifth, with a combined score of 924, at this weekend’s LPGA Xavier Invitational in Daytona Beach, Fla. Senior Cristina McQuiston was among the top performers at the par 72, 5,711-yard LPGA International Hills Course. She took 12th place in the individual rankings, ending the three-day tournament with a score of 226. Fellow senior Katia Joo also did well, despite an 84-stroke showing on Friday. With scores of 74 and 75 on Saturday and Sunday, Joo edged her way to 28th place in the field of 74 golfers.

Women’s Soccer

The women’s soccer team rebounded from Thursday’s loss to No. 4 Virginia, winning over conference opponent Louisville 1-0 on Sunday. The win was BC’s ninth of the season and the squad’s second against an ACC team. BC’s one goal came within the first five minutes of the contest, off the boot of sophomore forward Hayley Dowd. Swarmed by three Louisville defenders, Dowd was able to take advantage of a small gap—kicking the ball with her left foot past the diving goalkeeper. The goal was her 11th of the 2014 season and her third in the last two games.

DowdvLVille5

Featured Image by Jordan Pentaleri / Heights Graphic