Sports, Fall

Volleyball Fails To Win A Single Set Over The Weekend

0-3, 0-3.

Women’s volleyball traveled south to Florida this past weekend, with a Friday night game against No. 8 Florida State and a Sunday afternoon matchup versus the University of Miami. Both games ended the same way—with Boston College on the losing end, failing to win a single set.

Florida State, which stands at No. 2 in the ACC standings, has a plethora of weapons, which proved to be the Eagles’ undoing. The Seminoles had six players over a .300 hitting percentage, and two players with 20 or more assists. As a whole, FSU had a .280 team-wide hitting percentage, as opposed to BC’s .198. The Seminoles managed 12.5 team blocks, as opposed to BC’s seven.

One of the bright spots for BC, though, was the continued form of outside hitter Katty Workman. Workman has sustained her hot streak for the past few weeks, as she recorded more kills than any other player on the court with 15. She also had the best hitting percentage of the Eagles, at .237.

Workman was an important factor in the highly contested second set, which went into extra points. At one point in the set, BC led FSU 25-24, but a Seminoles’ run that was capped off by outside hitter Katie Horton, sunk the Eagles 28-26.

Florida State won the first set 25-22 and the third set 25-20.

The story was much the same for the Eagles in Coral Gables, Fla., as the Hurricanes, who are No. 4 in the ACC, had too much quality to handle.

Although the Eagles’ defense stopped Miami from dominating in the first set, it ended 31-29 in the Hurricanes’ favor. Miami led for the majority of this set, but BC fought back to tie the game at 18 and it was a battle from there on out. Miami middle blocker Emani Sims, who recorded four blocks in the set, and a combination of kills from Taylor Scott, Savanah Leaf, and Kelsie Groot led to the Eagles’ ultimate demise.

From there, the rest of the match was in Miami’s control. The Hurricanes cruised to a 25-17 second set win and then a 25-15 third set victory. Their defense stifled the Eagles’ offensive efforts as BC’s hitting percentages for the second and third set were .053 and .029, respectively.

The most kills any player had on BC was seven, which Workman, Sol Calvete, and Kam McLain all collected. In comparison, Miami had three players with more than seven kills and one player at seven.

Calvete was one of the few players who did not let the Hurricanes’ momentum affect her, as she had seven kills, a .429 hitting percentage, and 12 digs.

The entire Miami team had 15 blocks, of which Sims was involved in 12. Sims also gathered a .538 hitting percentage with eight kills.

Now, the Eagles look forward to two final home games this weekend, which will see out their regular season.

Featured Image by Arthur Bailin / Heights Staff