Sports, Football, Top Story

Football Coach Steve Addazio Signed Through 2020 Season

Wednesday afternoon, Director of Athletics Brad Bates announced that Boston College will retain football head coach Steve Addazio through the 2020 season. “In just two years, Steve Addazio has done an amazing job with our football program,” Bates stated in an email released by the Athletics Department. Bates noted Addazio’s production on the field, as well as his recruiting skills and the relationships he made with players in the email.

Addazio, former head coach at Temple University and offensive line coach for the University of Florida during the Gators’ 2006 and 2008 National Championships, led the Eagles to the bowl games in his first two seasons, compiling a 7-5 regular season record in each. Former head coach Frank Spaziani concluded the 2012 season with a record of 2-10.

Several of the Addazio’s graduates in 2013-14 season, such as Doak Walker Award winner Andre Williams and linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis, found homes on NFL rosters. His “Be a Dude” marketing campaign—highlighted by his comedic Vines—also won Addazio some fans, especially among young recruits.

Addazio aims to return BC’s football program to national prominence, last reached under coach Jeff Jagodzinski in the late 2000s.

“I appreciate Fr. Leahy’s and Brad Bates’ support for our program and their confidence in me,” Addazio said in a statement released by the Athletics Department. “I am also grateful to our student-athletes and our staff for their dedication and hard work. We have a lot more work to do, but I believe we are building the foundation for a great football program.”

Correction: An earlier version of this article misstated that Steve Addazio was the offensive coordinator when Florida won its two national championships. Addazio was the offensive line coach during those seasons. The article also stated Kevin Pierre-Louis was a defensive end. Pierre-Louis played linebacker for the Eagles. 

Featured Image by Graham Beck / Heights Senior Staff