Men's Basketball

Lonnie Jackson To Miss Rest Of Season With Lower Leg Injury

Boston College men’s basketball head coach Jim Christian announced on Monday that senior guard Lonnie Jackson would miss the rest of the season due to a lower leg injury that limited him to just three games in 2014.

In those three contests, Jackson played an average of just 8.7 minutes per game and was held scoreless. The leg injury proved too much to overcome for the Valencia, CA native, who missed the mark on his only five attempts from behind the arc in 2014.

Jackson found a role on the Eagles as a player who could hit a clutch 3-pointer when called upon, as he ranks ninth all-time in 3-pointers made at BC. His sophomore campaign remains his best as an Eagle, in which Jackson averaged nearly nine points, three rebounds and two assists per game. Jackson’s minutes took a fairly significant hit last year, decreasing from 29.3 to 23.6, and he was never able to get off the ground for his senior season.

Jackson’s production from long range has been replaced this season by graduate transfer guards Aaron Brown and Dimitri Batten, both of whom are in their last years of eligibility. Jackson will likely apply for a medical redshirt, offering him an additional year in a Boston College jersey. At full health, he would not have difficulty cracking the rotation, considering seven players, excluding Jackson, will be graduating.

This is the third season-ending injury of the year for Christian’s team in the coach’s first season at the helm. Redshirt freshman Darryl Hicks tore his ACL for the second consecutive season, and freshman center Idy Diallo tore his meniscus prior to the beginning of the year.

Featured Image by Emily Fahey / Heights Editor