Sports, Top Story, Men's Hockey

Men’s Beanpot Semifinals Postponed Until Tuesday

The first round of the men’s Beanpot, originally scheduled for Monday night, has been postponed until Tuesday due to the impending snowstorm, TD Garden officials announced on Sunday afternoon.

Game times will remain the same—No. 2 Boston University will take on No. 4 Harvard University at 5 p.m., and No. 14 Boston College will play Northeastern University at 8 p.m.

The only other time that Beanpot semifinals have been rescheduled was in 1983. Additionally, the blizzard of 1978 forced the finals to be postponed until the beginning of March. During that tournament, many fans in attendance were forced to stay overnight at the old Boston Garden for the semifinals.

The first game of the ’78 series, featuring Harvard and Northeastern, went to overtime and did not allow the second game to start until well after its scheduled time. During the second game, MBTA officials announced that the last train would be leaving before the end of the championship, but according to Tournament director Steve Nazro, “nobody moved.”

The National Weather Service is reporting that the Boston area can likely expect anywhere from 10 to 14 inches of snow between midnight on Sunday and early morning on Tuesday. As of Sunday afternoon, no travel bans have been put in place, and the T is still slated to run as scheduled. Boston-area public schools will be closed on Monday, but no colleges have made closing announcements as of yet.

BC has won the past five Beanpot tournaments and will look to extend its streak to six, which would tie BU for the most consecutive titles. The Terriers won six straight from 1995 to 2000.

All-time, BU has the most Beanpot titles with 29, but BC has made a late charge to catch up and currently sits at 19. Harvard has won 10 Beanpot championships, while the Huskies of Northeastern only have four.

The women’s semifinals are still scheduled for Tuesday at Harvard’s Bright Hockey Center. Northeastern will play No. 1 BC at 5 p.m., and No. 7 BU faces off against No. 4 Harvard at 8 p.m.

Featured Image by Emily Fahey / Heights Senior Staff