Sports, Winter

Roundup: Women’s Track Finishes Strong At BU

Track
BC Track took a short ride on the B-line this weekend to Boston University for the John Thomas Terrier Classic.

Members of the Distance Medley Relay team set the tone for the Eagles for the weekend, placing third in the race with a time of 9:57.41, five seconds behind leader American International.

Friday’s races primarily featured women’s performances, highlighted by a first place finish by sophomore Fallyn Boich in the Shot Put competition. Junior Jacqui Hannon also placed first in the 60-meter dash, squashing her previous personal record by two tenths of a second.

Senior John Bleday was the highlight of the men’s competition, finishing 12th of 104 in the 3000 meter competition with a time of 8:07.64.

The track team remains in Beantown for the Boston University Valentine Invitational next weekend.

Skiing
The ski team journeyed to Smugglers’ Notch, Vt. to compete in their third carnival of the season, hosted by the Saint Michael’s College Purple Knights.

Junior Chase Ryan broke into the top half of the standings for the men’s Giant Slalom (GS), finishing in 56.61 seconds, just 1.99 seconds out of the 54.62 lead set by Middlebury’s Robert Cone. The time was enough for 29th place.

Sophomore Bug Pech (58.70) and freshman Maggie Gilligan (59.37) had the most success in the women’s GS, finishing just 0.67 seconds apart and placing in the high thirties. The skiers finished five seconds behind a stellar UVM squad led by sophomore Kristina Riis-Johannessen.

Men’s Tennis
BC’s rollercoaster of a season continues, as the Eagles fell 1-6 to the University of Central Florida.

Doubles pair Kyle Childree and Hank Workman set the tone for a potential doubles competition win after winning their set 6-4. Jesse Flores and Tyler Pate, however, concluded the doubles competition with a close defeat over BC’s Kent Mukai and Alexandre Thirouin to give UCF the 1-0 edge over BC entering singles play.

The singles side of the day was hard-fought with senior Philip Nelson, sophomore Aidan McNulty, and freshman Will Turner all facing three-set matches. Nelson and McNulty both fell deep into the tie-breaking set, while Turner finished UCF’s Reece Acree in the 18th game of the third set.

Women’s Tennis
Women’s tennis lost a close match at Harvard this weekend, falling to the Crimson 3-4.

The doubles matches were identical through three sets of 6-3 each. BC’s Jessica Wacnik and Lexi Borr were the only pair to be on the winning side, however. Wacnik obliterated June Lee, 6-2 6-2, in her singles match later in the day, the only BC player to win both her doubles and her singles match.

Freshman Asiya Dair and sophomore Emily Safron both won their singles matches as well. Dair overwhelmed Monica Lin in a first-set tiebreak then finished the day with a 6-3 second set win. Safron found an easier victory, defeating Amanda Lin, 6-3 6-1.

The team takes the first half of the week off before heading to Dedham, Mass. for a promising matchup against UMass on Friday.