Spring, Softball

Eagles Continue Hot Start In Georgia Southern Tournament

While the men’s and women’s basketball games were postponed due to weather and travel conditions, the Boston College softball team (7-3) experienced very different conditions this Sunday at the Georgia Southern tournament.

The Eagles had their final game of a five-game tournament on Sunday morning in Statesboro, Ga. They played a doubleheader on Friday against Tennessee Tech and Binghamton, another doubleheader on Saturday versus Campbell and Georgia Southern, and one final game on Sunday against Binghamton.

The Eagles won four out of five games in the tournament, which culminated in a 13-11 extra innings win over Binghamton.

BC started off with a 7-1 win against Tennessee Tech. The Golden Eagles were the first to get on the scoreboard, plating a run in the third inning, but BC quickly jumped ahead one inning later. Freshman Chloe Sharabba hit a triple to send in two runners and give BC the lead. The Eagles extended the score line in the sixth inning. A sacrifice bunt, a single, another single with two RBIs, and finally a Jessie Daulton single made it 7-1. Jordan Weed started the game, and Allyson Frei closed out the last three innings, not allowing a single run.

The next matchup on the day was a bit closer, with the Eagles taking down Binghamton, 5-4.
The Eagles had a high-scoring third inning, begun by Daulton, who would eventually have three RBIs in the game. Daulton hit a double, driving in two runs. Tatiana Cortez then hit a flyball that got her out, but not Annie Murphy, who scored to make it three. Finally, Daulton returned to home via a hit by Jordan Chimento, ending the scoring for the inning at four.

The Bearcats responded in kind with four of their own two innings later to level the score line.
The difference maker was Daulton, who bunted the ball in the seventh inning, skillfully sending Megan Cooley home for the win. Allyson Frei pitched all seven innings, with her only hiccup being the four-run inning.

The Eagles notched their only loss of the tournament the next day against Campbell, as they dropped a 6-4 game against the Fighting Camels. The Eagles never scored more than one point per inning, spacing out their scoring and never overcoming the five-point lead that Campbell had starting in the third inning. The freshman contingent led the stats sheet for the Eagles as Sharabba had two hits and an RBI, Chimento had two hits and two RBIs, and Murphy recorded two hits and one RBI.

BC went back to winning ways later on Saturday when the team matched up against tournament holders Georgia Southern. Similar to the first game of the tournament, BC went down 1-0 at the beginning of the game. It took the Eagles until the fourth inning to begin their scoring run. Cortez and Taylor Coroneos hit two RBIs in the fourth inning to put BC up by one. The next inning, Daulton and Chelsea Dimon both hit two sacrifice flies to put the score at 4-1. Finally, Coroneos and Chimento both drew in runners off of hits, capping BC’s offensive push at six. Georgia Southern’s two late runs were not enough to best the Eagles, as the game ended 6-3.

The Eagles’ final game was against Binghamton, whom they had played two days prior. The game was once again close, with BC pulling off the late win. The game got off to a fast-paced start, as both sides ran in five runs in the first inning. The game continued that way, as back-and-forth scoring ensued, yet the Eagles found themselves with a one-point deficit going into the final inning. In the seventh, Cooley hit a triple and ran home off of a wild pitch to send the game into extra innings. Chimento saved the day for the Eagles the very next inning, hitting a two-run homer in the eighth to send the Eagles back to snowy Boston with a win.

Featured Image by Emily Fahey / Heights Senior Staff