Arts, On Campus, Featured Story

Meet The Contestants Of This Year’s Sing It To The Heights

dude

Chris Paterno, A&S ‘15

Chris Paterno is a singer-songwriter who has been drawn to music since the fourth grade. In high school, Paterno played tenor drum and was involved in the marching band. Since then, he has been experimenting with different musical instruments, such as the guitar and harmonica.

Auditioned with and performing: “Morning Light” by Chris Paterno

Shower tune: “I’m Not the Only One” by Sam Smith

Other activities: Health and fitness coach

“I tend to be drawn to rhythmic music and anything with a softer side. I’m influenced by artists like Ed Sheeran, John Mayer, and Ray Lamontagne.”

Jonathan Vaughan, A&S ’15

Jonathan Vaughan has been singing for as long as he can remember. With a penchant for soulful music, Vaughan finds inspiration from artists such as Robin Thicke, Usher, and Justin Timberlake. Outside of singing, Vaughan hopes eventually to break into the entertainment industry through acting and screenwriting.

Auditioned with: “Rolling in the Deep” cover by John Legend

Performing: “All of Me” by John Legend

Other activities: Beats A capella group, screenwriting, acting

“I remember being constantly yelled at growing up by teachers for always singing.”

photobcidol

Alex Cavanaugh, CSOM ’17

Alex Cavanaugh is a guitarist and singer who drew his musical influence from rock icons such as Billy Joel and Dave Grohl. Since playing guitar as a teenager, he has gradually ventured into the singing world.

Auditioned with: “Folsom Prison Blues” by Johnny Cash

Performing: “Just a Dream” by Nelly

Shower tune: “Cowboy Casanova” by Carrie Underwood

Other activities: Hockey and soccer

“The first gig I ever had was on my 15th birthday. It was at a bar and I just picked up a guitar and ended up playing for over an hour.”

Wynmm Murphy, A&S ’18

Wynmm Murphy’s inception into the music world began when her father handed her a guitar and forbade her from leaving her room until she taught herself how to play. Since then, Murphy has attended a performing arts school and transferred her music learning into vocal training and singing.

Auditioned with: “The Boobs Song” by Priscilla Ahn

Performing: “Hit Me Baby One More Time” by Britney Spears

Shower tune: Some Aretha Franklin

Other activities: Hello…Shovelhead!

“I tend to get nervous right before I go on, but I also get addicted to the feeling of feeling nervous.”

bop

Meghan Linehan, CSOM ’17

Meaghan is a marketing and theater major whose performance credentials at Boston College include God’s Will, Legally Blonde, and ASM Dance.

Audition song: “Ordinary People” John Legend

Shower songs: “Sunday Morning” by Maroon 5, “If I Ain’t Got You” Alicia Keys, Beyonce

Other activities: Dramatic Society, Dynamics, ELP

“I go for bluesy or soulful music like John Legend”

colgan

Chris Colgan, CSOM ’16

Chris Colgan leads the music at the 10:15 p.m. Sunday mass in the Heights Room. The late night mass crowd has grown accustomed to his deep voice over the past two years. An RA on Newton, Chris is set to move down the hall into Robsham with the similarity spiritual cover of Bon Iver.

Auditioned with and performing: “I Can’t Make You Love Me” by Bon Iver

Shower tune: “Latch” by Sam Smith

Other activities: Freshman RA, Student Admissions Program, Arrupe

“I’m always a little nervous when I perform in front of people, but always really excited.”

nick

Nick Page, A&S ‘18

Nick stylistically falls in between Sam Smith and Ed Sheeran—two worthy pillars of popularity. After making the Bostonians out the freshman gate, Nick welcomes the opportunity to setp away from the hums and oohs of a capella for a night.

Auditioned with and performing: “Latch” by Sam Smith

Shower tune: “Thinking Out Loud” by Ed Sheeran

Other activities: The Bostonians

“I think I’m ready. I’m doing it with my roommate (Ameet Kallarackal ’18), so we’ve been practicing. He’s playing violin.”

esther

Esther Chung, CSON ‘17

Esther splits her free time between the a cappella group Against the Current, her church group, and her on-campus job at Addie’s. Chung will be accompanied by Eric Lee, A&S ’15, in her performance for Sing it to the Heights.

Auditioned with: “Fill a Heart” by Tori Kelly

Performing: “Firework” by Katy Perry

Shower tune:  “Titanium” by David Guetta

Other activities: Against the Current

“I’m in Against the Current … I’m a little nervous, but I’ve performed with my group before so it should be okay.”

Patrick Fei, A&S ’18

Patrick added creative flair to his audition for BC’s Sing It to the Heights. In addition to Kanye West’s recent release “The Only One,” Fei will be performing a mashup of other genre blending tunes.

Auditioned with: “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys

Performing: “The Only One” by Kanye West

Shower tune: “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys

Outside activities: The Heightsmen

“A couple songs had the same chords and I think they fit well: “Thinking Out Loud,” “Stay with Me,” or MJ’s “Man in the Mirror.”

Liz McGovern, A&S ’18

When she’s not working on stage for BC theater, she’s working in radio for WZBC, and when she’s not sifting through stacks of CD’s in the WZBC office she’s singing with The Acoustics. Quite a proficient start. Is she nervous for the big show? Not at all.

Auditioned with: “Ring of Fire” by Johnny Cash

Performing: “Future Love” by Lady Gaga

Shower tune: “I’ll Be Seeing You” Billie Holiday

Other activities: Theater, WZBC The Acoustics

I’m sort of a hybrid of folk and jazz. I have a jazzy voice but I write folk music.

Featured Image by Breck Wills / Heights Graphic

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Meet The Contestants Of This Year’s Sing It To The Heights”

1. Just a correction: Jonathan Vaughn is the correct spelling of his last name. Additionally, BEATS is all capitalized, as it is an acronym for Black Experience in America Through Song. Other than that, can’t wait to see the show–looks fantastic!

2. Sing it to the heights was a great event! Congratulations to everyone who participated! The Jesuit judges did an awesome job… Loved the dance they performed!