Fall

Calvete Powers Eagles To Weekend Sweep

In front of a sellout crowd of 950 in Power Gym on Saturday night, the Boston College volleyball team completed the trifecta, beginning the season with three straight wins in the BC Invitational by topping Sacred Heart University in four sets.

The Eagles got off to a quick start against the Pioneers thanks to the efforts of Sol Calvete, who had four kills on eight swings in the first set. The Eagles led by as many as eight points, and despite a late Sacred Heart comeback that saw BC give up four consecutive points, the home team took the set, 25-20.

The second set consisted of more balanced action, as the lead changed several times before a kill from BC middle hitter Brittany Pavich gave the Eagles momentum they would not relinquish. BC won the second set by four points, and though Sacred Heart took the third set to claim its first victory of the match, the Eagles slammed the door shut on the Pioneers in the fourth set, the closest of the day.

A few hours before the Sacred Heart game, the Eagles played Providence College in the first matchup of their Saturday doubleheader. The Eagles and the Friars traded sets back and forth until the very end, but BC ultimately came out with the victory over its New England rival.

Providence took the first set from the Eagles by a score of 20-25, but BC came right back with a strong showing in the second. The Eagles broke a tie at six to take the lead and they would not relinquish it for the remainder of the set. Junior Julia Topor and senior Kam McLain paced the winning team with three kills each.

Providence regained the lead in the match in the third set, 25-20, behind strong play from Kayla Fitzgerald, who had four kills in the set. The game was on the line in the fourth set, but Topor came through for the Eagles in crunch time. She had eight kills and eight digs in the decisive set to keep her team in the game. BC came out victorious in the fourth, 25-22, to set up a winner-take-all in the fifth and final set.

In the final set, Pavich paved the way for the Eagles, who ended the match with six consecutive points to put the Friars away for good. She scored six kills in the fifth set, which the Eagles took by a score of 15-9.

The night before, BC opened its season with a matchup against the University of South Alabama. The first two sets were close, the combined difference between the winner and loser just four points, but the Eagles dispatched of the Jaguars in four sets.

Senior outside hitter Katty Workman starred against South Alabama, netting 24 kills total. Camille Oemcke added 27 assists for the Eagles, and Madisen Lydon had 11 digs in the victory.

At the end of the three games, three BC players were named to the BC Invitational All-Tournament Team. Pavich and Workman each received the honor, while Calvete was named MVP of the tournament.