Opinions, Editorials

Pope’s Message Should Act As A Touchstone For Boston College

Pope Francis completed his 10-day tour of the United States yesterday, Sept. 27, during which he made stops in Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and New York. Francis struck a tone on big social issues—such as compassion for homosexual members of the Church, climate change, immigration, and the roles of women in the Church—which surprised many conservative Catholics. The Pope’s words have especially resonated with people of a younger generation, both Catholic and non-Catholic. Accordingly, his message to the U.S. is of particular value here at Boston College, an institution simultaneously seeking to hold onto its mission, grow more diverse, and improve its standings nationally.

Originally founded to act as an engine of opportunity for Irish Catholics who were discriminated from other colleges, BC has grown to be an elite academic environment, and has adapted in response to the changing demographics of its students in many ways. Espresso Your Faith Week and Agape Latte were instituted by the Church in the 21st Century to bring the conversation on religion at BC to the University at large, and, in many ways, have calibrated the University to better serve the Church of today. Francis’ message, however, pushes Catholic institutions to do even more.

How can BC continue to expand its educational offerings to the underserved and marginalized? This was the earliest mission of the University, and  in keeping with that mission today, we’re challenged to develop into a school intent on serving the community through scholarship and financial aid as well as charitable outreach and service offerings. Francis, himself an immigrant, spoke of the greatness of the U.S. coming largely from the immigrant groups that built this country. BC is a similar place.

With the Light the World Campaign finishing early, and hitting its target goal, BC now has a tremendous amount of money that can be put to good use outside of just infrastructure.The Woods College of Advancing Studies is a great program that provides full-time and part-time students who are looking to develop their skills an opportunity to advance their particular careers. As BC continues on its growth outward, it also must look inward, and developed into a community as diverse as the country Francis encountered on his visit. This means offering educational opportunities to all socioeconomic classes, at all stages of life, with an emphasis on the underserved.

What does a Catholic institution in the 21st century do to advance its mission? BC has already done a lot to develop its “men and women for others,” but the institution should not grow comfortable with its accomplishments and improved stature in the world. The University’s extraordinary financial blessings come with the call to do extraordinary work in educating and serving the diverse, changing Church of today.

Featured Image by The Associated Press