Fall, Volleyball

Volleyball Falls Twice In Sunshine State

Boston College volleyball flew south this past weekend, looking for warmer weather and a couple conference victories. With stops at the University of Miami and Florida State, the climate was favorable, but the result of the trip was not. The Eagles fell to both opponents, continuing a trend of weak performances against ACC opponents.

On Sunday afternoon, the Eagles’ weekend road trip to the Sunshine State took a stop in Tallahassee, Fla. to face the Seminoles. After an early tie at 4-4, the Seminoles built a large lead, the greatest of which was seven, when the score reached 20-13. The Eagles tried to fight back, bringing the game to 20-17. The Seminoles were not fazed, winning the first set 25-18.

The second set was much closer, and saw the Eagles take their first lead of the game. After an early 7-7 tie, BC maintained a steady but small lead for a majority of the game. Things began to turn south for the girls when the Eagles reached a 20-19 lead. The Noles, playing with urgency, finished the game strongly, winning 25-22.

Set three was another poor showing for the Eagles. The Seminoles went up early and never let up. Overwhelmed, the girls could not do much to stop FSU’s momentum, losing the set 25-14 and getting swept in the game.

On Friday night in Coral Gables, Fla., the Miami Hurricanes hosted BC. The first set of the night proved that a win would not come easy, as the game began 4-4. The Hurricanes mounted multiple runs. This forced the Eagles to play catch-up for most of the game, battling back to level the score three times. Despite the effort, the Eagles could not gain a lead and lost 25-23.

The second set of the game was not much different. Miami found the lead early, refusing to give it up despite the constant pressure from the Eagles. The girls of BC rallied from behind to bring the score to 20-16, riding two Miami errors and a service from Camille Oemcke. Miami responded with strong defense and won the set 25-20.

The third set, again, had a similar theme. Miami jumped out to a 7-2 lead and did not look back. The Eagles had trouble keeping up, and remained at least five points behind for the entirety of the game. Katty Workman and Julia Topor each recorded three kills in the 25-19 loss. With the loss of the set, the Eagles collapsed in the game, continuing a downward trend in the ACC.

Featured Image by Jordan Pentaleri / Heights Graphic