News, On Campus, Features

Seven Alumnae Featured In Globe’s Top 100 Women-Led Businesses

Seven Boston College alumnae were named in the Boston Globe article, “2015 Top 100 Women-led Businesses in Massachusetts.” According to the article, originally published on Oct. 23, The Globe Magazine and the Commonwealth Institute, a non-profit organization devoted to advancing businesswomen in leadership positions, partnered to “honor those organizations with the most impressive records of innovation and workplace diversity, as well as revenue and employee numbers.”

The organizations were ranked according to a formula made by the combination of the two companies. This is the third year that the two companies came together to compile a list of female Boston business leaders.

Deborah Kincade Rambo, current president and CEO of the Archdiocese of Boston’s Catholic Charities and BC ’78, has served for more than 32 years in the Catholic Charities’ community service centers as an advocate for the poor. She received a BA from Pennsylvania State University and a Masters of Social Work from BC in 1978.

Laura Sen, president and CEO of BJ’s Wholesale club and BC ’78, was profiled in an article released by Bloomberg Business in January and shared how she acquired her position of president and CEO of BJ’s Wholesale club—an American membership-only warehouse club chain primarily on the east coast of the U.S.. In 2009 Sen was promoted to CEO. In her Bloomberg article, she gave advice to readers, “If you’re curious, enthusiastic, smart, and passionate, you’re gonna get the job,” she said.

Jeanette Clough, president and CEO of Mount Auburn Hospital and BC ’82, graduated with a background in nursing and has worked to drastically improve patient safety in her role as President and CEO of Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge, Mass. She was recognized for her work cutting back on unprofitable services and adding revenue-generating programs that helped to financially stabilize a Waltham hospital where she was CEO before coming to Mount Auburn in 1998. Her dedication to patient care and building trust are what make Clough unique among other CEOs.

Judy Habib, president and CEO of KHJ Brand Activation and BC ’76, which helps brands realize their potential through better branding, strategic problem solving, and the development of an internal culture. Habib has worked at KHJ for over two decades and is known for her welcoming attitude and personal relationships with clients and coworkers. She works to preserve the soul of corporate America, the mission of KHJ.

Patricia Maguire Meservey, president of Salem State University and BC ’88, has served as the university’s 13th president since July of 2007 and positioned it as a crucial business, nonprofit, and development resource for the entirety of the Commonwealth. Working closely with various public institutions, Meservey was instrumental in gleaning for Salem State the “university” status in 2010 and significantly expanding its international repute.

Alicia Barton, chief operating officer of SunEdison and BC ’02, recently stepped down from her position as CEO and executive director of Massachusetts Clean Energy Center. Having served at MassCEC for three years, Barton and her team created nation-leading programs and initiated economically frugal clean energy projects that endeavor to improve the environment

Featured Image by Alex Gaynor