From Coffee To Physics: A New Job For The Chocolate Bar’s Lead Cashier

From caramel lattes to administrative work, Scott Bortolotto, lead cashier of the Chocolate Bar, seems to do it all. After nine years, Bortolotto is leaving his post with Boston College Dining Services in 2016 to take on a new role as an assistant events coordinator in the physics department.

Through working in Stuart Dining Hall on Newton Campus and the Chocolate Bar in Stokes Hall, Bortolotto has been able to form relationships with several faculty members in the physics department, he said. When the position opened up, he knew that it was a team of professors that he could work with, and applied for the job.

“We know that he has been looking for something to move forward with and this is a great opportunity for him. We are sad, and we are going to miss him, but it really is a great opportunity.”

Bortolotto graduated from the Woods College of Advancing Studies in May with a degree in corporate systems after taking classes for six years alongside working in the Chocolate Bar. Now, he plans to begin his master’s degree through WCAS in September. He hopes to study business administration.

“I wasn’t sure about my master’s at first,” Bortolotto said. “But as I got through school, I realized that I probably should pursue it. Now that I have had a whole semester off, I kind of miss doing homework.”

Alongside his classes and new position, Bortolotto also keeps busy at home. He coaches both of his childrens’ basketball teams and has served as his son’s Cub Scout leader for five years. Bortolotto is also an avid Patriots fan and will never pass up an opportunity to talk football.

Prior to working at BC, Bortolotto worked as a branch manager for AAA Insurance in Waltham. He originally came to work in Dining Services so that he could take classes and receive a degree. Now, Bortolotto is excited to get back into an office setting.

BC Dining Services has begun the process of finding a replacement for Bortolotto as lead cashier and will most likely have a replacement by mid-January, Associate Director of Restaurant Operations Megan O’Neill said.

“We are very excited for Scott,” O’Neill said. “We know that he has been looking for something to move forward with and this is a great opportunity for him. We are sad, and we are going to miss him, but it really is a great opportunity.”

While Bortolotto will miss the daily interaction with students, he hopes that his position in the physics department will provide him with new opportunities to engage with students. He also plans to stay and work at BC after receiving his master’s degree.

“This is a great environment,” Bortolotto said. “Not just the students, but also all the employees that I have gotten to meet—every department. It’s just a very warm and inviting environment.”

Featured Image by Drew Hoo / Heights Editor