BC Events Demonstrate Effort to Promote Entrepreneurship

Soaring Startup Circle, an accelerator started by Boston College alumni, had an information session this past Tuesday. The group connects students with alumni who have experience with startups and gives them access to office space and other resources to assist them. Over the summer, selected applicants can work with alumni and use their support to improve the startup idea and develop the company.

Another event in a similar vein will be held next Monday. The Sports Business Society of Boston College will hold a networking event, at which students can interact with representatives from companies such as the Associated Press, ESPN, and the Boston Red Sox. The keynote speaker will be Norby Williamson, ESPN’s executive senior vice president of production, program scheduling, and development. Afterward, attendees may quickly meet and exchange information with the 23 guests, including executives and recruiters.

Both of these events encourage students to take initiative and explore various career paths. The constantly evolving world of entrepreneurship can easily intimidate students, and the SSC is a useful step toward bringing more students into the field. Sports business is a different pursuit that requires different things from potential employees, but it shares many of the same principles, especially the importance of networking.

These two efforts help connect students with important and influential figures in these fields. The resources provided by the SSC accelerator program and the professionals who will attend the sports business event both give students important opportunities to achieve some increased level of success in their respective industries. Students who hope to pursue careers in these fields need these opportunities in order to gain a head start and have a better chance of reaching their goals.

These events demonstrate a continued effort by the University to promote entrepreneurship and assist students in achieving their professional goals. The Shea Center for Entrepreneurship is an example of this effort, as is the Endeavour program. As students face an increasingly uncertain job market with shifting technological focuses, the importance of developing interpersonal connections within desired industries and seeking help from established professionals is more important than ever.

The University has done well to emphasize this and provide students with the necessary resources to pursue their field of interest. Many other universities foster similar programs, like Harvard University’s Innovation Lab. It is good to see BC supporting these types of programs and events. Future development of existing programs like the Shea Center, support of alumni accelerators such as SSC, and the continuation of events such as the sports business networking talk are all worthy uses of University resources that should be continued in the future.

Featured Image by Kristin Saleski / Heights Staff