Spring into Fashion with Denim, Chokers, and Cartoon Apparel

by

Forget the typical, demure pastels and florals that normally accompany the spring weather and try New York Fashion Week’s must-have styles instead.

Denim on Denim on Denim

For all you Canadians, it’s time to whip out your tuxedos. That’s right folks, the denim-on-denim look is making a comeback. Previously a fashion faux-pas, February’s fashion week seemed to make the Canadian Tuxedo the next “it outfit.”  But like all it-girls, the faster the rise, the quicker the fall. So, before you go dropping hefty bucks on those coveted Vetement jeans, do you think this trend is here to stay?

Fashion 3online

Chanel seems to think so. Taking a twist on Coco’s original tweed, Karl Lagerfeld sent the models down the runways of this spring’s Mercedes Benz Fashion Week sporting denim skirt-suits. Other designers, such as Balenciaga and Michael Kors, quickly followed suit. Since these high-end designers are not necessarily college budget friendly, this look can easily be replicated by matching your favorite jean-jacket with and old denim skirt that has taken residence in the back of your closet. Better yet, go all out and wear your boyfriend’s jeans. There’s no such thing as too much denim this season.

Chokers

Channeling their inner Sabrina the Teenage Witch, fashion icons have been strutting the streets of NYC in their favorite, fashionable dog-collars. Choker necklaces are back this spring by popular demand. While some prefer the classic black velvet, other designers like Oscar de la Renta, Alexander Wang, and Calvin Klein, are changing up the choker game with buckles, pendants, and cutouts. “Weren’t chokers a thing of the 90s?” you may ask. Well yes, but outdated is the new up-to-date, and chokers are just the beginning of it. Expect a myriad of halter tops, jelly sandals, and iridescent eye-shadow to grace the cover of all your favorite fashion magazines these upcoming months.

Fashion 4online

Orange

Orange is the new black this season, and fashion fans don’t know if the popular TV show or fashion week is responsible. As Boston College students come back from Spring Break overly orange from their sunny getaways, models flood New York in their tangerine runway garments. Designers like Dion Lee, Adam Selman, Baja East insist on making it this season’s shade, despite some controversy. Orange is making its way out of the prison cells to the streets, and some people are a bit weary of this. Is it too in-your-face? Who knows, maybe orange will finally be the color to replace black.

Fashion 1online

Cartoons

Who said comic strips were only meant for paper? This spring, you’ll get to see all your favorite cartoon’s walking around on people’s clothing. Why? Designers have responded, “Why not?” Character is being added to fashion this season, in quite a literal way. Clothing is talking this spring, and quite loudly. This trend first appeared in street style this season on the back of jean jackets, and the fashion world is awaiting its runway appearance. Beat designers to the punch this spring and wear your Saturday morning cartoons on your back.

Fashion 2online

Designers are daring students to venture outside of their usual Vineyard Vines and J. Crew attire this season. The fashion is loud, clearly trying to make a statement. Will BC students listen and be up to the challenge?

Featured Images By Vogue Magazine / W Magazine / ELLE

Top