2017 Football Season Opener to Be at FirstEnergy Stadium

*Note: see info about The Depths below.

Boston College football will open its 2017 season at FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio, athletic director Chad Gates announced today. The Eagles will square up against the University of Miami. The 2017 opener was scheduled after fans responded positively to the 2016 season opener’s taking place in Dublin, Ireland.

“We began talking to the people at FirstEnergy Stadium after the reaction to the Dublin opener,” Gates said. “We wanted to have an equally popular and exotic destination that would be more accessible for Superfans.”

Cleveland certainly meets this goal. More fans will be able to make the trek from Boston to Ohio than from Boston to Ireland, so the stands will be packed with people wearing their maroon and gold number 22 jerseys. When not cheering on the Eagles in the stands of FirstEnergy Stadium, fans can stroll around the city, taking in its scenic sites. Popular destinations like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the house from the classic film “A Christmas Story” are sure to enthrall all visitors. Those interested in nature will enjoy touring the Cuyahoga River, famous for catching fire in the 1960s.

With so many exciting and memorable tourist opportunities, it’s easy to forget the real purpose of the trip—the Eagles’ matchup with the Hurricanes. FirstEnergy Stadium, home of the NFL’s Cleveland Browns, will host the two teams and their fans on Sept. 2, 2017, at 5:30 p.m. Superfans are already excited for the game, however, even several years in advance.

“I think it will be a really fun weekend,” Jack Ford, MCAS ’19, said. “FirstEnergy Stadium and the Browns have such a rich history of success, and BC could really use some of that right about now.”

Kate Little, CSON ‘17, plans to attend even though she will graduate several months before the game. “I’m always looking for weekend fun, so Cleveland is right up my alley,” she said. “And I bleed maroon and gold—I wouldn’t miss this game for the world!”

According to Gates, the athletic department is thrilled with the initial reaction to the announcement.

“It’s very clear that we made the right choice, and we’re very excited for everyone to get to enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” Gates said.

Superfans should keep an eye out for emails with more news about the game. “We’ll be sending some news out about prices and packages soon,” Gates announced. “I promise, you won’t want to miss it.”

*This story is part of The Depths, a collection of humorous, fictional portrayals of campus life, written in the spirit of April Fools’ Day. Some names of “sources” have been changed to maintain ambiguity and humor.