Drake’s “Pop Style” Mellows Out, Tegan and Sara Go for the “Boyfriend,” and More In Singles This Week

Drake, “Pop Style”

4

This low tempo track, released together with the poppy Drake single “One Dance”  is yet another hit release from the Canadian-born rapper. This collaboration with Kanye West and Jay-Z boasts mellow background beats and a slow cadence that does little to distract from the rappers’ individual styles and inventive lyrics. Despite what its name suggests, the new track as the antithesis of pop music, for it features none of the over-produced elements characteristic of the pop genre today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEclBjMsDpc

Blake Shelton, “Friends”

2

Created for the upcoming Angry Birds Movie, this upbeat new track is rife with kid-friendly and cliche lyrics as well as bouncy background beats. Country king Blake Shelton strays far from his usual love-soaked, sensual songs and loud bar room jams with this jaunty ode to friendship. Despite its evident appeal to a target demographic of toddlers and tweens, the over-produced instrumentals are enough to make true country fans cringe.

Tegan and Sara, “Boyfriend” from Love You To Death

4

This synth-backed, bubblegum jaunt back into the ’80s balances the characteristic electric crackle of the indie twin vocalists with a chorus of pure pop explosion. The track packs all the sugary slam of old pop queens with a hint of force underneath, which comes through in the chorus as the singers tease out (with unexpected frankness) the no-man’s land between best friend and something more.

Featured Image By Warner Bros. Records