Spring

Kenzie Kent Dominates as Lacrosse Defeats Dartmouth

Days like today make it hard to believe sophomore Kenzie Kent was still going full-throttle in ice hockey just a few weeks ago. Today she led Boston College lacrosse over Dartmouth College in a 14-9 victory. It was the first time the Eagles (8-6, 1-5 Atlantic Coast) beat the Big Green (5-6, 1-3 Ivy League) in the teams’ 12-game series history.

It was a back-and-forth game for the entire first half. Kate Weeks opened up the scoring in the first 30 seconds, but Dartmouth’s Jaclyn Leto responded to tie the score at one apiece. Sarah Mannelly put BC ahead again, and Kent recorded her first assist of the game five minutes into the first frame. The Big Green tallied another tying goal, leaving the score gridlocked at two. BC then exploded for three straight goals, including another goal and assist from Kent. But Dartmouth would not back down and scored five more goals in the half. Kent managed another assist to Weeks before the frame ended, leaving the halftime score at 7-6 in Dartmouth’s favor.

BC came out of halftime ready to play and dominated the second half, scoring eight goals on its way to a commanding victory. Mannelly tied the score at seven before Kent assisted a Mary Kate O’Neill goal to reclaim the lead for the Eagles. Kent scored four additional goals and recorded two total assists in the second half, dominating the game and building a comfortable lead for BC. Weeks and Caroline Margolis would also add goals, bringing the final tally to 14-9 in the Eagles’ favor.

Kent’s five goals and five assists earned her 10 total points on the day, tying the program record for the second-most number of points recorded in a single game. She was the dominating force throughout the game, exploding especially in the second half to reclaim the lead and increase the cushion for the Eagles.

Weeks and Mannelly also made major contributions in the game. Weeks tallied four goals, a career high. She also opened up scoring and helped build momentum for BC in the first half. Meanwhile, Mannelly scored twice and added a career-best five assists, including her 70th total assist as an Eagle.

Featured Image by Lizzy Barrett / Heights Staff