History Professor to Appear on C-SPAN

by

History professor Heather Cox Richardson’s class Race, Riots, and Rodeos: America from the End of the Civil War to 1900, will be featured on C-SPAN as a part of the national public service broadcaster’s Lectures in History series.

Richardson’s class was filmed by a five-person team on April 12, and is set to be broadcasted on July 2 at 8 p.m. and 12 a.m. and throughout the weekend. The footage will also air at various times on C-SPAN 3.

“Because these are real classes, they look and feel a bit different than many of our other programs, which are often talks or panels taped at public venues,” Russell Logan, C-SPAN’s producer are American History TV, said to the Office of News and Public Affairs.

Richardson is the first Boston College professor to be featured on C-SPAN. In addition to teaching history at BC, she has published five books.

After being recommended by a professor and a C-SPAN producer who saw her speak at another event, Richardson was asked to be featured as a part of the Lectures in History series. Richardson was featured on C-SPAN last March to discuss her latest book, To Make Men Free: A History of the Republican Party.

“It’s always a pleasure to work with the wonderful folks at C-SPAN, and to have the chance to bring the great stories and patterns from American history to a larger audience,” Richardson said to the Office of News and Public Affairs.

Taylor St. Germain

Taylor is the managing editor for The Heights, as well as a news alum. She is from Los Angeles, CA, but defies stereotypes by not surfing, rooting for the Rams, or tanning easily. You can follow her on Twitter @taysaintg.