Sad Elephants and Existential Questions: TU/TD

Thumbs Up

A Necessary Defeat – They had seven years to figure it out. Seven whole years. When the time came, however, and the right suddenly realized they needed to figure out how to do more than just talk, they weren’t up to to the challenge. In an important victory for the health of millions of Americans, the GOP walked back its plan to replace Obamacare in Congress after realizing they would not have anywhere near enough votes to see the legislation through. In an era of polarizing political dichotomy, in which a harrowing pit of hellfire seemingly exists in the aisle, Republican defectors who vowed not to support the bill represent a calming return to morality in politics. This departure from staunch adherence to party politics should become an established precedent for future debate and policy making in Congress. While this shift is not likely, the kicking of Paul Ryan’s proposed plan to the gutter is a triumph for the left, for morality, and the good in general.

Thumbs Down

The College Condition – So we’re all here, on earth, together, and that’s just the way it is. Time goes on, people live and die, and at the end of it all, what’s left? Let’s zoom in a little closer. There’s a freshman in college, and he’s trying to figure it all out. Everyone around him has it down it seems. They’re either completely engrossed in the superficial and the short-lived, or have figured out how to completely remove themselves from the perfunctory realm. Curiously, both are able to inspire envy. The first is fun, no doubt. To be so unconcerned with the future, to be wrapped up in the social politics of right now, certainly has its perks, especially if you’re doing great at it. The second is good for other reasons. To be free from the pressures of social expectation, hurt feelings, and the fear of missing out must be amazing. To have fully arrived at the logical conclusion that pretty much everything happening right now won’t matter at all in three to four short years must be entirely liberating. Some people, however, find themselves stuck in the middle. It’s hard to not be caught up in everything that takes place in the present. It’s what everyone is doing, so it has to be the only thing that matters, right? What greater standard exists to say otherwise? And if no one cares about said standard, does it even exist? Is it even worth considering? It’s also hard to fully commit to the future. Life is short, college is supposed to be a time for fun. What’s it worth to work hard, but to not have fun along the way? But, what is fun? Does fun have to be what everyone else says is fun? Is fun relative, or is it a pressure we all subscribe to, and create a culture where there is really only one way to have fun? Are we all so caught up that we shun those who beg to differ, while not realizing we ourselves are missing the point too? Or is the superficial all that really matters anymore? I don’t know, but it sure feels that way. How do we build anything meaningful if all we are is all about what’s next? How do we find fulfillment when sober reflection is an afterthought? Are we meant to separate this campus from the rest of the world for all of these four years? How are we supposed to talk to anyone, when everyone is shrouded in the veil? Let me know.

Featured Image by Zoe Fanning / Heights Editor

About TU/TD 190 Articles
The best and worst of Boston College and more. Follow us on Twitter @BCTUTD.