Blue Houses and Getting Older: TU/TD

Thumbs Up

A Blue House – In the shadow of Fenway Park, there is a venue that offers an escape from the rest of the world. Young people can take refuge from their busy college lives and enter a chamber of carefree spirit and fantastic acoustics. Balconies full of semi-intoxicated teenagers overlook a sea of similarly semi-intoxicated teenagers, and the entire mess is a beautiful spectacle of energy and a love for music. Or just a love for a good time. Either way, for a little while, everyone can come together and share in the liberation.

A Convenient Seat – The freshman trudged into O’Neill Library, his unnecessarily heavy backpack weighing him down, as he was determined to finish all of his work for the next three semesters in one night. He arrived at an empty table far in the back, and took his perch that he planned to keep for the next seven hours. He opened up his backpack, removed a mountain of textbooks, and then proceeded to set out his laptop. His fingers were ready to type away, trying to save his GPA one keystroke at a time. But his focus is interrupted. His computer is on 3 percent. He gasps, and reaches quickly to his bag to get his charger. But then he remembers. Outlets in O’Neill are a rare commodity, and many are often forced to awkwardly move seats to find a power source. Was the fate of his study mode sealed? He looked despairingly to his right, and then his spirits were raised. There lay an empty power strip, ready to power his computer and his sanity. He plugged in his laptop triumphantly and set out to work. At least one thing was good about his Saturday night.

Thumbs Down

Getting Older – Birthdays are a funny thing. Our minds grow all year, yet we only decide to recognize and commemorate this development on one single day. In reality, our lives are moving forward all the time, making these individual increments totally arbitrary. You could be 19, but in your life, you may have only grown to the age of 13. You could be 15, and your experiences could have caused you to become 24. The real essence of growing older shouldn’t be measured by 365-day periods, but rather the leaps and bounds that we make in our perspectives all the time. Assuming that a person grows equally each day until they reach yearly milestones is unfounded from a critical perspective. Sometimes, people, especially early on in their lives, have experiences that propel them beyond their literal counting age. And likewise, others have had such limited experiences that they reflect a mind younger than that of their literal age. Sure, age is just a number, but the mind is certainly not bound by these standards, and people develop at sometimes rapid and sometimes slow paces over the course of their lives. It all depends.

Featured Image by Zoe Fanning / Heights Editor

About TU/TD 156 Articles
The best and worst of Boston College and more. Follow us on Twitter @BCTUTD.