Spring

BC Takes Both Games of Doubleheader Against Georgia Tech

Two games, same day, same result. Boston College softball cleaned up in both games of Saturday’s doubleheader against Georgia Tech. Once again, the Eagles relied on their pitching staff to shut down the opposition. Jessica Dreswick and Co. allowed a mere four runs over the course of the day. But it was BC’s bats in the early portion of play that served as the driving force for the two-game sweep.

In the back half of the doubleheader, Dreswick picked up right where she left off in game one. In fact, she did more than that. The junior punched out all three batters she faced in the first inning. Then, in the bottom of the frame, a single by Taylor Coroneos and walks by Annie Murphy and Chloe Sharabba loaded the bases. Thanks to a wild pitch, Coroneos was able to scamper home, giving BC (26-18, 10-6 Atlantic Coast) an early lead. Soon after that, Tatiana Cortez hit a three-run shot, driving in three more runs.

In the top of the second, the Yellow Jackets (14-32, 6-14) made up some ground. Leading off, Katie Krzus singled through the right side. Kaylee Ellebracht grounded out to second, but in doing so, moved Krzus into scoring position. The ensuing batter, Kelsey Chisholm, singled through the right side, bringing home Krzus. But that was the only run Georgia Tech scored, as Dreswick was quick to extinguish any sort of Yellow Jacket rally.

It wasn’t until the top of the sixth that another run crossed the plate. After drawing a full count, Samantha Pierannunzi hit a solo shot, cutting Georgia Tech’s deficit to two. Fortunately for BC, Dreswick recovered and retired the next three batters to end the inning. In the final innings, the Eagles’ offense stalled. But it didn’t matter. Dreswick had more than enough run support to close out the 4-2 win.

Just like the second game, BC controlled the first inning of the series opener.

But, at first, things were shaky. On the third pitch of the game, Jessica Kowalewicz singled. Then, Dreswick misfired, hitting Krzus with a pitch. With two runners on, the Yellow Jackets were threatening. That’s when Dreswick settled in. She struck out Malea Bell and then forced a double play ball to third, ending the inning.

Murphy, Sharabba, and Cortez all walked in the bottom half of the first, loading the bases. All it took was a Jordan Chimento fly ball to center field to give the Eagles their first run of the game.

In the top of the second, Dreswick retired the side, maintaining the Eagles’ one-run advantage. But BC didn’t have any better luck on the offensive end, as all three of its batters in the bottom of the inning failed to reach base.

Scoring resumed in the third. Sharabba was hit by a pitch, giving her a free ticket to first. Cortez and Lexi DiEmmanuele proceeded to single and walk, respectively. Allyson Moore singled to the left field, scoring Sharabba and Cortez. And, because of an inaccurate throw to home plate, DiEmmanuele also had enough time to cross home plate. As a result, the Eagles entered the fourth inning on top, 4-0.

In the bottom of the fourth, Murphy singled up the middle with two outs. Next up was Sharabba. The versatile shortstop showcased her power, when she homered to left field, extending the BC lead to six.

Jordan Weed replaced Dreswick on the hill in the top of the sixth. Despite giving up two late-game runs, Weed, at times, was just as effective as Dreswick. To cap off the victory, Kendra Friedt came in to close out the game in the seventh. She did just that, and the Eagles took the first of two, 6-2.

Although BC is off to one of its better starts in recent history, it has yet to reach a season milestone—one that head coach Ashley Obrest has been targeting.

“We’re trying to do something we haven’t done all year which is sweep a team,” Obrest said.

But with Saturday’s wins, the Eagles are on the brink of achieving that goal.  

Featured Image by Shaan Bijwadia / Heights Staff