A Cappella Critics’ Choice Dazzles With Strong Harmonies

A Capella

The A Cappella Critics’ Choice was an exceptional display of technique harbored in the a cappella community at Boston College. Featuring the Acoustics, the Sharps, the Beats, the Heightsmen, the Common Tones, and the Bostonians, this show gave these groups the chance to showcase some of their exceptional talents and skills.

The Sharps, BC’s only all-female a cappella group, sang Jon Bellion’s “All Time Low.” The group had an interesting take on this song and pushed the vocal capabilities of the singers. While most women sing in higher registers, it was a unique and noticeable foray for the group to try and push their notes lower during certain parts of the song. Having released eight albums since their founding, the Sharps are delivering the high quality performances we expect by staying honed, practiced, and evolved.

Another standout group was the Common Tones. Singing “Latch” by Sam Smith, the group mesmerized the crowd. The soloist’s measured control of her voice along with the accompanying vocals from the other members of the Common Tones added a character to the song not found in the original version. Rising and falling to adapt to the soloist, the singers were flexible and attentive. With such great talent throughout the Common Tones, this group is one to keep an eye on in the semesters to come.

[aesop_gallery id=”133732″ revealfx=”off”]

The Heightsmen, BC’s only all-male a cappella group was one of the fan favorites of the show. Throughout the group’s rendition of “Beautiful Girls” by Sean Kingston, the cheers from the crowd were reminiscent of reactions to a favorite boy band. Although the song wasn’t as long as their shouts, the Heightsmen earned the roaring applause they received from the crowd.

Closing out the show, the Dynamics performed “Mad Love” by JoJo and Chance the Rapper. Similar to the Common Tones’ performance of “Latch,” the Dynamics’ rendition of “Mad Love” left the audience awestruck at the sheer command over range members possessed.

While a lot of the elements in these performances were similar, such as the background music the group sang for the lead, there were individualized elements that made the groups stand out from each other. This appeared in cool features like the Sharps’ foray into the low notes and the use of beat-boxing in the Dynamics’ accompanying music.

After its performance, one of the singers of the Common Tones spoke to the crowd. Elizabeth Wollan, MCAS ’19, expressed her joy at the performances that evening. She also noted her happiness for having the opportunity to perform on a grand scale. Most of the performances usually occur on the same nights and it can be hard for singers to go see shows to support their friends in other groups.

The Critics’ Choice production reinforced the idea that BC’s a cappella community continues to foster and hone its vocal skills. But moreover, events like this highlight on the sense of community between groups as each takes hints from others and happily engages in a dialogue within the greater community. Shone in each group’s performance, the a cappella community has formed a lasting and durable status on campus.

Featured Image by Amelie Trieu / Heights Editor | Grace Chung / Heights Staff