Blog: Where the Class of 2020 Wants to Live Next Year

burglary

While seniors are looking for jobs, juniors for Mods, and freshmen for squads, the Class of 2020 has their vision set on off-campus housing. Whether being forced off campus or opting out of another year of the swipe-and-type grind for a shiny set of “real keys,” dorm living, even on Week 3 of the year, seems to be old news.

Some sophomores, like Carolina Torio, MCAS ’20, have no idea where they want to live and are still playing the field, hoping to get recommendations from upperclassmen. Others like Kyle Burns, MCAS ’20; Devin Weinberg, CSOM ’20; and Michael Land, CSOM ’20, have already jumped the housing gun. After just one week in Walsh, the trio have already officially leased a house and their souls—their swanky 10-bedroom on Orkney comes at a hefty price, $12,600 a month, not including utilities.  

“It’s a very big house and it’s close to food places in Cleveland Circle,” Burns said.

“Because it’s not on Foster or one of those streets, it’s unique,” Weinberg said. “We’re unique so we wanted a unique spot.”

The appeal of not having an RA initially drove the boys to look off campus, but they were quick to mention that their current peace-keeper is very cool.

When asked how many people they think they will have in their house for non-restricted social gatherings, Weinberg estimated 200, Burns guessed 80, and Land rationalized 25. The ever-ambitious Weinberg was quick to conjecture the possibility of hosting parties four days a week. The mature Burns stated that he will have turned 21 by then and will be settling down.

The boys are excited to get into their very own kitchen. Burns loves to cook, and Land speaks highly of his other roommates’ cooking skills, specifically their ability to make bacon. Besides opening up doors for new culinary opportunities, off-campus living provides the friend group with the freedom to expand—they plan on getting a dog.

“We want to get a bulldog who’s really fat and ugly,” Land said.

Their housing experience wasn’t all bacon and bulldogs at the beginning though, the trio had to fight for their charmed living situation. Burns realized it was time to get moving on the housing situation when a girl snapchatted him a picture of her signing a lease for next year during the first week of August. After hearing about the house on Orkney from some Boston University Pike boys, they got a real estate agent who helped them through the mess, although Weinberg plans on getting his real estate license soon.

Weinberg recalls getting into an all-out bidding war the first week of August. He texted back and forth with another student whose group also wanted the coveted spot. The house had an offer already, and Weinberg’s classmate planned on bidding the same price. Weinberg upped his offer $100 a month and scored the house. He and his crew can’t wait to move in and see what next year has to offer.

Anderson Blaisdell, MCAS ’20, and Emma Linville, MCAS ’20, have been roommates since freshman year. Together they’ve taken on the nuisances of Newton and ravages of CoRo. The next stop for this duo is Foster Street. Unlike Weinberg, who did all of the house-buying work, Blaisdell and Linville’s friend found the house after hiring a realtor named Dimitri who allegedly “hooked it up.”

Though Blaisdell didn’t have a choice in living on or off campus, she is still excited to move away from the Heights as she is not studying abroad and feels like living on Foster will be a type of “getaway” in its own respect.  

“I like having a home and a place to escape from school a little bit, kind of like Newton,” Linville said.

The two describe their landlords as “adorable,” but are a bit worried about maintaining good relations with them as they are strict. The Russian couple who own the house have decided not to rent to the male species anymore because boys who lived in the house previously trashed it. The gaggle of girls on Foster won’t let anything get in the way of the perfect off-campus experience and plan to put together the perfect mélange of dinner parties (i.e. soirees, fetes)  and “party parties” (i.e. ragers, rippers). But, general public beware, the parties will be for exclusive friends only.

“It won’t be a freshmen-come-in-and-destroy-my-place-type thing,” Blaisdell said.

Blaisdell and Linville look forward to enjoying new off-campus freedoms, such as having a pet without gills. Linville wants a new feline friend, while Blaisdell, who was bitten by a cat when she was a kid, would prefer a hamster.

Besides adopting a new friend, Blaisdell looks forward to heating things up—whether it be cooking her famous grilled-cheeses or having premarital coitus.

There is still another group interested in Blaisdell and Linville’s high-demand house on Foster—the two are stressed about getting the lease signed and hope all paperwork will be done soon.

Jack McTiernan, CSOM ’20, and Tanner Kellan, MCAS ’20, are ready to pack their bags and move from Vanderslice to their 15-person abode on Kirkwood. Both students are not big fans of Boston College dorm-living.

“I had my own place three months and going from that back into college is like having parents again,” said McTiernan, who later affirmed that he loves his parents.

“We’ve been in our fair share of trouble,” Kellan said.

The duo are both living with a group made up mostly of their current roommates—they claim to be easy-going, low-maintenance guys. The boys look forward to throwing your average amount of parties—mostly for people they know—at which freshman girls are always welcome.

Kellan is an avid grill-master and can’t wait to have a kitchen and be able to learn how to cook.

The duo has been through their ups and downs. The house they originally wanted on Foster fell through, but a friend of a friend came to the rescue and asked the McTiernan-Kellan squad to join in: a classic story of strife, unexpected camaraderie, and redemption.

Whether their worries be that they are mistaken for freshmen on CoRo, or that there’s a mysterious stain on their ceiling in Walsh, sophomores can sleep soundly at night dreaming of junior year’s off-campus retreat.