Time for Tailgates: TU/TD

Thumbs Up

Tailgating With Priests – On each game day, hundreds (sometimes thousands, if we’re gonna lose really bad) descend upon Boston College’s Brighton Campus. The parking lot and fields are transformed into a tailgating paradise, and for the hours leading up to kick off, it seems like there are far more people who actually enjoy going to this school than on an average day. Maroon and gold (it’s more like yellow) spread as far as the eye can see. Students, alumni, parents, grandparents, and younger siblings alike engage in hot dog grilling, alcoholic beverage consumption, and a lot of talk about the days “when I was an Eagle.” What many forget, however, is how privileged we are to partake in such debauchery on grounds normally reserved for the School of Theology and Ministry. What is usually a place of holy study is instead taken over by the sins of the youth, creating an oxymoronic environment. The pagans of the BC general population are given the opportunity to have their fun, and I hope that the priests forgive them, for they know not what they do.

Moms and the Mods – Getting into Mod parties is not always a straightforward endeavor. The dreaded question of “Who do you know here?” often leads to lies about knowing an Arrupe trip leader, someone’s cousin, and a door slammed in the face. Sometimes, however, coveted invitations to the Mods come from unexpected sources. Having met a pair of Mod mothers at his friend’s tailgate on Saturday, the freshman was surprised when they courteously invited him to attend any of their sons’ parties, and to have the freshman give them a call if there was any trouble. He was ecstatic. He had never been invited anywhere before. When that white door swings open next Saturday, and the freshman is greeted by an unfamiliar face, the dread question will be met with, quite literally, “Your mom.”

Thumbs Down

Don’t Tread On Me Flags – The freshman enters the room, and immediately spies the yellow flag across from him. It was in this moment that he knew he was not going to have a fun time. The yellow flag, its meaning obnoxiously reappropriated to represent conservative causes, covered half the wall. The boys standing beneath it, donning colored shorts and preparing to throw a ping pong ball at a series of red plastic cups, were immensely proud of their decorative decision, judging by the numerous photos of them standing in front of it that they had already posted on Instagram. The freshman couldn’t bring himself to stay in the room any longer, and he left without a word, for fear that he might just say too much.

Featured Image by Meg Dolan / Heights Editor

About TU/TD 159 Articles
The best and worst of Boston College and more. Follow us on Twitter @BCTUTD.