Leather After Columbus Day: TU/TD

Thumbs Up

It’s Almost That Time – I’m a big fan of leather shoes. Boots, chukkas, oxfords, you name it. In the warmer months of the year, however, I find it hard to pull off wearing leather shoes, other than the typical brown Sperry boat shoe, which I refuse to wear regularly, as I’m not a member of a fraternity. All summer, my leather boots sit untouched at the bottom of a storage bin, waiting for the changing of the seasons to signal their time to arise from their slumber. My chukkas sit sad and alone in the dark of my closet, untouched by the summer sun that prohibits their use. The time is quickly approaching, however, when I will open up my storage bin, dig through the piles of sweaters, and lace up my favorite leather boots. I’ll brush the dust off my chukkas, and cuff the denim of my jeans just above their saddle-brown skin. I’ll trudge out into the autumn weather, colored leaves decorating the ground for contrast. My feet devoid of canvas or suede, I’ll head up the street supported by smooth caramel.

Coming to a Close – Midterm Season. It’s a period of every semester, albeit not exactly defined by specific dates, in which most midterm exams for classes fall. A rough estimate puts it anywhere from three weeks to a month, and its effects reverberate through campus like an emotional seismic wave. At its peak, open study space on campus is as hard to come across as a student who isn’t stressed out of their mind, and the reservoirs in the coffee dispensers in the dining halls often dry up by the early evening. Calls to parents about the potential of dropping out are frequent, and not a meal is shared without a laptop out somewhere on the table. It is a time that tries the souls of students, and pushes us to the brink of our motivation to buckle down and get through exams so that we can one day graduate. This hectic time, however, will soon come to a close, and we’ll be able to breathe once again.

Thumbs Down

Inconsistency – Boston College has school off for Columbus Day. My friends over at the University of Maryland, however, do not. Neither do my pals at the University of Michigan, nor my compatriots at the University of Virginia. There’s an obvious trend to be observed here, but I don’t know if it’s true across the board, and it isn’t even my point. Here’s the point: if Columbus Day is insignificant enough to prompt certain schools to cancel classes, among other inconsistencies, why even designate it as a holiday at all? Although Columbus Day is technically a federal holiday, as of 2015, only 23 states give their citizens Columbus Day as a paid holiday. Tennessee, apparently existing within its own universe, celebrates Columbus Day on the Friday after Thanksgiving. These bizarre inconsistencies regarding the ninth of October every year, I hope, represent a declining public consensus on the merit of the holiday. Celebrating a man every year who killed millions of indigenous Americans is wrong, and if Columbus Day is hardly significant in most of the country, let’s get rid of it for good.

Featured Image by Meg Dolan / Heights Editor

About TU/TD 159 Articles
The best and worst of Boston College and more. Follow us on Twitter @BCTUTD.