Featured Story

Hispanic Heritage Month Ends With Food, Music, and Dance

This past Friday, the Thea Bowman AHANA and Intercultural Center’s Hispanic Heritage Committee hosted the Hispanic Heritage Month Closing Ceremony. Diego Chavez, MCAS ‘20, was the master of ceremonies.

This year’s theme of the month-long celebration is “Latinos keeping the future bright.” It is meant to be a reflection on the first year of President Trump’s term and the recent series of natural disasters that have affected Hispanic countries.

The event began with a presentation of the flags of all Hispanic nations. BC students entered the room individually holding their own country’s flag. The last flag to enter was the United States flag, representing the country that everyone belongs to. Augustin Rac, MCAS ‘21, followed the display of flags with singing a song of the bachata genre.

After an intermission in which guests were treated to Dominican food, many dance groups performed. Fuego, the first to enter, performed many different dances ranging from duos and trios to the entire group. Sexual Chocolate performed next, dancing their traditional step numbers but to the sound of latin club music. VIP ended the show with a latin-inspired performance of many duos. After a piñata was broken open by an audience member, Chavez ended the event.

“I want to thank you all so much for coming,” said Chavez. “We will see you next year for another celebration.”

Featured Image Courtesy of Taylor Perison / Heights Staff