A Good Album and Bad Camouflage: TU/TD

Thumbs Up

Again and Again – The day has finally come. The album you’ve been waiting to come for weeks is finally dropping tonight, and you can hardly contain your excitement. You persuade yourself to stay up until midnight doing Calculus homework just so you can listen to it the second it comes out on Spotify. When 12 a.m. finally rolls around, you throw your headphones in and hit play on the new record. The first song is emotional and inspiring, the artist setting the tone for the project. You listen on, and by the end of the album, you come to a realization. This will be just about the only music you listen to for the next month. Between each class, during every study session, bumping on a Friday night, you listen again to the album, mesmerized and addicted under its magical spell. There’s almost nothing better.

Remembering Why – Welles Remy Crowther is an inspiration for everyone at Boston College. At the Red Bandana Run on Saturday, this was clear, as the community came together to raise money in his memory. In celebrating Crowther’s life and heroics, it is important to remember that his selflessness on that fateful day should serve as a model for the rest of us, not just in moments of crisis, but in how we live our daily lives. Rest in peace, Welles. I hope that we can live up to your legacy.

Thumbs Down

Camouflage BC Hats – This is a campus fashion fad that I’ve never really understood. Boston College is, as you probably know, located in the Northeast, right outside of Boston, Massachusetts to be exact. Many BC students, however, see it fitting to sport camouflage baseball caps bearing the BC logo, indicating to an unknowing observer that BC might be found in Alabama or Mississippi. Other than the fact that I think camouflage clothing is ugly, I take issue with camouflage BC apparel because it is connected to frat culture, which our school, thankfully, is safe from as an institution. While BC has its fair share of “bros,” the lack of University-sanctioned Greek Life liberates its students from shallow social pressures and the dangerous, and even sometimes fatal, process of joining a fraternity. Camouflage clothing is among the common apparel associated with frat culture in the South, where pledges have to put metal trash cans on their heads and be beaten with baseball bats in order to pay to have friends. For whatever reason, camouflage has become a “preppy” fashion trend, and this is why BC is able to sell the hats in question. I’m definitely nitpicking, but I think it’s dumb.

Featured Image by Meg Dolan / Heights Editor

About TU/TD 164 Articles
The best and worst of Boston College and more. Follow us on Twitter @BCTUTD.