Arts

Selena Gomez, Cam, and Theory of a Deadman in Singles This Week

“Wolves” – Selena Gomez

“Wolves” is the newest single from Selena Gomez. She is joined by Marshmello for the more electronic aspects of the song. “Wolves” begins with a verse of vocals subtly backed by soft guitar plucking. As the song progresses, more instruments are added until the chorus kicks in. “I’ve been running through the jungle / I’ve been running with the wolves / To get to you, to get to you” constitutes the main repetition throughout “Wolves.” After the first chorus, Marshmello’s influence becomes more apparent. Instead of a backing guitar, the accompanying instrumentals morph into heavy beats and electronic pulses. Gomez’s new song is a heartfelt plea for her distant love. She describes all of the obstacles she has overcome in order to reach this person.

“Diane” – Cam

Starting with strong vocals supported by backup harmonization, Cam begins “Diane” with great fervor. It becomes very clear that Cam feels sorrow and remorse for her relationship with a man. She has apparently been with this man while ignorant of his marriage to another woman, Diane. “Diane / I promise I didn’t know he was your man / I would have noticed a gold wedding band” come together as the chorus of the fast paced country song. While the subject matter is unfortunate, the song is very enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvJ6l5t-U-U

“Wake Up Call” – Theory of a Deadman

Theory of a Deadman’s new song, “Wake Up Call,” comes from their new album of the same name. “Wake Up Call” doesn’t seem to offer much in the way of originality. The song feels a lot like the mid-2000s pop-rock anthems about lost love that everyone has already heard a thousand times.

Featured Image By Interscope