Women's Hockey

Burt Notches 100th Career Win in Victory Over St. Lawrence

Boston College women’s hockey bounced back on Saturday with a resounding 6-3 victory over St. Lawrence, giving senior goaltender Katie Burt her 100th career victory. With the win, Burt became only fourth goalie in women’s Division 1 hockey history to reach the century mark, which puts her in a tie for second place all-time—only 14 more victories short of the all-time record.

Coming off of a 2-1 loss in the first game of the series, the No. 2 Eagles (9-1-1) were looking for revenge against No. 8 St. Lawrence (6-4-2). The game saw a lot of early action as BC outscored the Saints, 3-1, in the first period. The Eagles got on the board early. Three minutes into the game Serena Sommerfield got a clean look at the net, prompting a good save from Saints goalie Grace Harrison. But the puck deflected directly into the path of Caitrin Lonergan, who neatly placed the puck into an open net.

BC doubled its lead seven minutes later when senior forward Kenzie Kent sent a beautiful pass into the path of Makenna Newkirk, who thundered the puck past Harrison. This lead was not safe for long however, as St. Lawrence responded with a goal of its own just 15 seconds later. A BC clearance pass was stolen by St. Lawrence junior Kayla Nielsen, which she passed to teammate Justine Reyes, who beat a defender and lifted a shot over Burt, giving the Saints hope, but not for long.

The Eagles responded five minutes later with a goal to restore the two-goal advantage. Freshman forward Winslow Corson cleaned up after a scrum in front of goal, triggered by a shot from Toni Ann Miano to give the Eagles more breathing room. The rest of the period was uneventful, leaving BC a 3-1 lead heading into the first intermission.

About halfway through the second period, BC found themselves in a good place after earning a power play. The Saints, however, caught the Eagles off guard and managed to score a shorthanded goal, bringing them back within a goal. Directly off of a faceoff, forward Nadine Edney collected the puck and skated through the BC defense and found herself in a one-on-one with Burt. Edney managed to put the puck past the BC netminder, bringing the score to 3-2 in favor of the visiting Eagles. The rest of the period was dominated by BC, with Corson and Miano each increasing their respective goal tallies. The No. 2 team in the land went into the final period firmly in the driver’s seat with a 5-2 lead.

Both teams managed to find the back of the net in the third period. St. Lawrence struck first, as Burt made a tremendous play to stop a one-on-one with a perfectly timed poke check , but the puck landed directly in the path of first-year Skylar Podvey, who snuck it past Burt for her first goal of the game. The Eagles responded well and firmly shut the door on the Saints with four minutes left to play. On a 5-on-3, the Eagles showcased their tremendous passing skill when freshman forward Daryl Watts played a great cross-ice pass onto the stick of Kenzie Kent, who redirected it into the path of Makenna Newkirk, who doubled her tally to end the scoring and put BC up 6-3.

The Eagles had a fantastic team game, with four players picking up goals in Miano, Lonergan, Newkirk, and Corson. Watts also starred, showing her eye for picking out an open teammate, adding four assists. But the standout was Burt, who made 36 saves in what will undoubtedly be a game to remember in the career of one of the greatest goaltenders in women’s college hockey history.

Featured Image by Delaney Vorwick / Heights Staff