The Last One: TU/TD

Thumbs Up

The Last One – I can’t believe I’m writing this, but the day has finally come. This will be the last time my thumbs do the talking. Over the course of the past year, these thumbs have had their ups and downs, but today, it all comes to an end. Let me take this moment to say thank you to any loyal readers of this section out there, if you even exist. You’ve been given a window into my turbulent life over the past year, a spilling of my thoughts I reserve for few other spaces. Thumbs Up Thumbs Down has been my rock, my place for emotional expression on a deeper level. I will forever cherish not only the time I got to spend with this section, but also everything that happened along the way that inspired these pieces. You can’t always control what happens to you in life, but you can control how you react to what does. In these columns, I’ve reacted to some things better than others, but at least I’ve always had this place to do so, and for that, I’ll always be grateful.

New Opportunities – Like I just said, you can’t always determine how life is going to pan out, but what you can do is take the opportunities before you. You can work to make your life as close to the image of what you want it to be, and you can always remember the people, places, and experiences that have helped you to get to where you want to be. Life moves fast, and a year can fly by in the blink of an eye. But we’re here now, and it’s up to us to make the most of it.

Thumbs Down

JUUL And Everything About This Trend – I’ve come out against this new trend of JUULing before, but as it becomes a larger issue, I feel the need to comment again. This stupid and detrimental habit has become so prevalent that The Boston Globe decided to cover its rise. New research has revealed that inhaling JUUL vapor can potentially lead to gum disease and other adverse health effects, such as making it harder for one’s lungs to repair damage. Furthermore, the young people using JUULs are addicting themselves to nicotine, and paving the way for developing a cigarette addiction later in life. JUULs have become dangerously popularized among teenagers and some even younger, without ample consideration for the impact that smoking an e-cig can have in the future. Some kids use JUULs so much that they become addicted, and to be addicted to anything in that way at such a young age is truly dangerous. Although JUUL says that its products are for users aged 21 or older, kids and teenagers are getting their hands on these devices, and the fruity flavorings that the company produces certainly does not deter them from using them. In truth, JUUL is a habit that our generation needs to kick now in order to set an example for our younger siblings and younger generations alike.

Featured Image by Zoe Fanning / Heights Editor

About TU/TD 165 Articles
The best and worst of Boston College and more. Follow us on Twitter @BCTUTD.