Women's Basketball

Previewing 2017-18 Women’s Basketball: Clemson

Clemson is one of two ACC teams that Boston College women’s basketball (6-11, 1-3 Atlantic Coast) has beaten over the course of the past two seasons. BC, currently on a two-game losing streak, will get the Tigers (10-8, 0-5) again on Thursday night. Looking to right the ship, the Eagles are eyeing their fourth-consecutive win over Clemson. The Tigers, on the other hand, are coming off a difficult loss at home to Miami and now get to host BC in a redemption game of sorts.

Who is BC playing?

Clemson

When is BC playing?

Thursday, Jan. 18, 7 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Clemson, S.C., Littlejohn Coliseum

How to Watch:

Thursday’s game will be livestreamed on ACC Network Extra and can be heard on the Clemson Tigers Network (ClemsonTigers.com).

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) Freshman Milan Bolden-Morris is BC’s most effective offensive player, having recorded 52 3-pointers for the Eagles—ranking third on BC’s all-time freshman list for 3-pointers—and posting an average of 13.6 points per game. Sophomores Taylor Ortlepp and Georgia Pineau trail Bolden-Morris—they’re both averaging 10.7 points per game.

2) Despite Bolden-Morris’s offensive feats, Pineau should not be overlooked. She has reached double-figures in five games and notched three double-doubles this season, not to mention that she leads the team in rebounding with an average of 7.5 boards per game.

3) When it comes to turnovers, the Eagles have a bit of a problem. So far this year, they have coughed the ball up 276 times—51 more than their opponents. On average, BC commits 16.2 turnovers per contest, as opposed to its opponents’ mark of 13.2 per game.

Clemson:

1) The Tigers are led offensively by junior Danielle Edwards this season with 10.3 points per game, followed by sophomore Jaia Alexander at 9.1 points per game. In addition to her team-leading scoring average, Edwards has also logged the most steals—a total of 51, good for third in the ACC—and assists for Clemson.

2) Clemson ranks second in the conference and 17th nationally in blocked shots with a total of 101, averaging 5.6 blocks per game.

3) The Tigers boast a very solid defense, having held South Carolina and Florida State, two of the country’s top 15 teams, to under 70 points.  

Last Meeting:

The Eagles and the Tigers last faced each other in the 2016-17 conference opener, resulting in a 12-point BC victory. Despite Clemson’s Nelly Perry and Danielle Edwards scoring 18 and 11 points respectively, the Tigers could not bring down the Eagles on the road. Pineau led the Eagles with 14 points and eight rebounds, guiding her team to a 1-0 start in ACC play.  

BC wins if…

Bolden-Morris continues to shine offensively, particularly beyond the arc. The freshman’s efforts must be matched by Pineau, who has potential to put up significant numbers. Aside from putting the ball on the floor, the forward needs to continue to perform well defensively, forcing the Tigers out of the paint and attacking the glass. Above all else, BC must keep an eye on Danielle Edwards, who although streaky, is Clemson’s best shooter.

BC loses if…

It fails to stop Edwards and Alexander, who both have the potential to do some damage on the offensive end of the court. The Tigers will also have a good chance to pull out the victory if BC can’t keep its turnover numbers down. In fact, the Eagles are just 1-4 when coughing up the ball 20 or more times a game. Quite simply, the inability to penetrate, let alone hold onto the ball, could spell doom for BC, a team that is already five games below .500.

Featured Image by Lizzy Barrett / Heights Editor