BC Announces Use of New Financial Aid Tool

On Jan. 18, Boston College reported that from now on it will utilize a new tuition assistance calculator, MyinTuition. The company boasts a three-minute application requiring basic questions regarding families’ financial standing and permits students and their parents to obtain a realistic estimate of their potential tuition. In order to display the affordability of private colleges with financial aid, Wellesley College economist Phillip Levine created MyinTuition in 2013. Since then, prestigious schools such as Yale and Northwestern have adopted it as a resources for prospective students.

In the past, BC has provided more tedious financial aid resources, such as Net Price Calculator, to prospective students. Although they have been helpful, the ease and convenience of MyinTuition allows current applicants an opportunity to consider schools’ accessibility, not because of their financial ability but because of their academic potential. Although BC is a need-blind school, so admissions decisions are made with regard to their ability to afford tuition, the University presents families with comfort in the knowledge of a realistic and easily accessible tuition estimate by integrating MyinTuition as a resource in the application process.

Because BC has experienced a steady increase in early applications over the past few years, the school provides more resources for applicants to utilize in the process. This year, early action applications increased by 15 percent. Now, as students begin to seriously consider their options, BC presents students with easier tools than before in order to gather accurate and helpful information about the University.

MyinTuition is a convenient tool that shows prospective families realistic and attainable academic futures. The University’s incorporation of it reveals an increased concern for students undertaking the complicated application process. In integrating such a expedient resource, BC encourages applicants from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds, and the resource will hopefully assist high school students on their college searches.

Featured Image by Nicole Chan / Heights Editor