Beanpot Team Capsule: Boston College Men’s Hockey

By the Numbers:

Record: 13-11-3 (13-6-0 Hockey East)
Goals For: 2.78 per game
Goals Against: 2.81 per game
Save Percentage: .907 (90.7 percent)
Power Play: 20-of-113 (17.7 percent)
Penalty Kill: 107-of-131 (81.7 percent)

Season Summary:

Up to this point, the Eagles’ season has proven to be an interesting one. They have established themselves as Hockey East’s top team, holding a one-point advantage over second place Northeastern, but their performance has dropped off significantly outside of conference play—they’ve yet to win a non-conference game. Thankfully for BC, the Beanpot consists of all Hockey East teams but one—Harvard. The Eagles’ strength this season has been their defense, which only allows an average of 2.81 goals per game. While this seems promising, BC has been lacking consistency of late, alternating between wins and losses in its last four games.

Players to Watch:

1) Joseph Woll

It would be hard to leave Woll off of this list, simply due to his ability to take over games with his performance between the pipes. His .901 save percentage is a top-50 mark in college hockey, while his 2.74 goals against average is good for 36th.

2) Connor Moore

The sophomore defenseman has logged plenty of time on ice and has secured a solid plus/minus of + 3. Moore has impacted the game on both ends, blocking a total of 22 shots this year while also chipping in 11 points.

3) Graham McPhee

BC’s leading goal-scorer by far (11 goals), McPhee has heated up significantly as of late and plays a pivotal role as the spark plug to ignite the Eagles’ offense.

Last Beanpot:

BC is searching for redemption after what happened in last year’s tournament: the Eagles lost both games and finished last in the field for the first time since 1993. First, BC suffered a 3-1 loss at the hands of Boston University in the opener, then fell to Northeastern, 4-2, in the consolation game.

All-Time Beanpot Record: 78-52

Beanpot Championships: 20

Best Case:

BC emerges from its scoring slump to defeat a difficult opponent in Northeastern. Hopefully for the Eagles, BU is able to defeat Harvard, as the Eagles’ play has been remarkably better against fellow Hockey East teams. They split the season series with BU, while skating to a draw against the Crimson. The Eagles only allow an average of 2.37 goals per game against Hockey East teams, not to mention that they post 3.05 goals per game themselves in those contests. If the trend continues, the potential path for BC to the Beanpot title goes through conference foes.

Worst Case:

Opening the tournament against Northeastern is a tough draw for the Eagles—they lost the last matchup, 5-2. The Huskies have a high-powered offense, averaging almost four goals per game and only allow 2.26 goals per game. They will surely give the Eagles fits. It might not stop there, as the Eagles could lose to either Harvard or BU in the consolation game as the two teams are both forces to be reckoned with when they bring their A-games. The ultimate worst case scenario is BC facing another winless Beanpot.

Featured Image by Lizzy Barrett / Heights Senior Staff