Beanpot Team Capsule: Boston College Women’s Hockey

By the Numbers:

Record: 24-2-3 (17-1-3 Hockey East)
Goals For: 4.34 per game
Goals Against: 2.07 per game
Save Percentage: .927 (92.7 percent)
Power Play: 32-of-127 (25.2 percent)
Penalty Kill: 105-of-126 (83.3 percent)

Season Summary:

Boston College women’s hockey is heading into the Beanpot riding the momentum of what has been nothing short of a dominant season thus far. The Eagles have lost just twice and have won six-straight games, including matchups against Beanpot foes Northeastern and Harvard. The Eagles are ranked second in the country and are heavily favored to win the tourney. BC’s season to this point has been unrivaled in its own conference, having won at least seven more total games than every other team in Hockey East.

Players to Watch:

1) Daryl Watts

Watts has enjoyed an incredible start to her career on the Heights. She leads the nation in points per game (2.38) and leads the Eagles in goals (34), points (69), and plus/minus (+ 36) while ranking second in assists (35).

2) Katie Burt

The senior netminder has been fantastic, allowing just 2.05 goals per game. She has been as consistent as they come, as demonstrated by her .927 save percentage. Burt also locked up the all-time NCAA wins record in her last game out, a win over Providence.

3) Caitrin Lonergan

Plain and simple, Lonergan is a playmaker. She currently leads the NCAA in assists per game (1.24). She ignites the Eagles’ offense regularly, knowing just where to make the right pass or move.

Last Beanpot:

The Eagles won their seventh Beanpot title last season, beating Boston University and Northeastern. They needed a third-period comeback to win the championship game, as Kristyn Capizzano and Erin Connolly scored to erase an early lead and beat the Huskies, 2-1. It was BC’s third Beanpot title in four years, continuing its recent dominance. Connolly earned MVP honors in the tournament.

All-Time Beanpot Record: 36-38-1

Beanpot Championships: 7

Best Case:

The Eagles continue to roll, en route to their third-consecutive Beanpot championship. Given their recent dominance, they shouldn’t have much of an issue capping off another title. Their biggest challenge should come when they square off against Northeastern in their first round matchup, as the Huskies have already defeated the Eagles once and nearly edged them again in overtime in the back half of a weekend series. Despite the tough battles between the two, there’s a good chance BC elevates its play—after all, it’s been five years since the Eagles failed to reach the final.  

Worst Case:

The obvious worst case is that the Eagles are swept swept through the entire tournament, but that seems rather unlikely. BC has not been knocked out of the first round of the Beanpot since 2012 in a shootout loss to Northeastern. While BC is favored to win the tournament, the Huskies will be its biggest challenge. It’d be one of the bigger upsets in recent Beanpot history if the Eagles were bumped to the consolation game, solely given the hype around their postseason chances and their star-studded roster. Yet, even if they do end up there, they will likely face Harvard, a team they have outscored, 14-3, in two blowout wins this year.

Featured Image by Sam Zhai / Heights Staff