Beanpot Team Capsule: Boston University Women’s Hockey

Beanpot

Numbers to Know:
Record: 10-13-6 (6-10-5 Hockey East)
Goals For: 3.13 per game
Goals Against: 2.83 per game
Save Percentage: (91.2 percent)
Power Play: 25-of-114 (22.9 percent)
Penalty Kill: 94-of-119 (79.0 percent)

Season Summary:

Picked to finish third in Hockey East in the preseason poll, BU has thus far had an underwhelming season. Its conference record is currently 6-10-5 and the Terriers sit sixth in Hockey East, 20 points behind runaway leader Boston College. That said, they enter this season’s Beanpot in good form. BU has picked up at least one point in five of its last six games, with three wins against Hockey East opponents during that span. At the moment, the Terriers’ record against Beanpot opposition this season stands at 0-4-2, with one tie and two losses against both Boston College and Northeastern.

Players to Watch:

1) Victoria Bach

A senior forward, Bach averages 2.16 points per game, good for third in Hockey East, and ranks second in total goals with 32, trailing only BC’s Daryl Watts.

2) Rebecca Leslie

The second of two dangerous forwards for the Terriers, Leslie ranks fourth in Hockey East in points per game with an average of 1.80.

3) Abby Cook

A sophomore defender, Cook has the second most points of any defender in Hockey East with 22.

Last Beanpot:

Last season’s Beanpot saw BU face off against a BC team that—as Eagles fans will remember—made a trip to the Frozen Four. In a closely contested game, BC managed to outshoot the Terriers, 31-27, and win the game, 3-2, thanks to a goal from Caitrin Lonergan with under three minutes left in the third period. In the consolation game, BU and Harvard battled to a wild 6-6 tie that ended with Harvard scoring the game-tying goal with just over one minute left in regulation.

All-Time Beanpot Record: 14-53-2

Beanpot Championships: 1 (1981)

Best Case:

The Terriers squeeze past Harvard into the final. If you are a BU fan and you put any stock into games against common opponents, then you should feel good about the Terriers’ chances against Harvard in the semifinal. BC, a potential Beanpot final opponent for BU, beat Harvard twice earlier in the season by a combined score of 14-3, while BU was able to play the Eagles tough, losing 4-2 and 4-3, in addition to forcing a 2-2 tie. The Terriers have the superior skaters and, if they play well, should be looking at a final date against either BC or Northeastern. Although they would be underdogs against either team, anything can happen in a tournament final and, at the very least, a Beanpot final pitting the Terriers against either the Eagles or the Huskies should be a competitive game.

Worst Case:

Goalkeeping and power-play struggles make beating Harvard a struggle. BU has two goalies who have started at least nine games this season in Corinne Schroeder and Erin O’Neil. Schroeder has the higher save percentage of the two, at .920, but that figure still ranks second to last among qualified netminders in Hockey East this season. Combine those struggles with a mediocre penalty kill—BU is second to last in Hockey East at 80 percent—and you have a relatively poor defensive unit, more specifically, one that ranks third to last in Hockey East in goals against average. If the Terriers are unable to clean up those mistakes, then they’ll be in for a battle in their semifinal against Harvard.