Outdoors and Oreos: TU/TD

Thumbs Up

Seeing everyone outside on campusUnless you were locked in a dark, enclosed room without access to the outdoors on Wednesday, you might have noticed that it was 70 degrees and sunny. When the weather’s like this, our campus, a wasteland in the winter, becomes a hub of activity—everyone stays outside for as long as they can, students sit on benches typing or reading, groups of friends lie on the Quad eating lunch and hanging out. Some people get so college that they’ll kick off their shoes and take out their frisbees. When this happens, everything changes. Even though it’s harder to go to class (most of my Wednesday classes were half empty), it’s easier to be on a campus that’s so happy and busy. Positive energy was radiating so strongly that it must have been nearly impossible for anyone to be in a bad mood. When friends and classmates find joy in such an uncontrollable phenomenon, the general energy on campus is truly extraordinary.

Thumbs Down

Whole Foods brand Oreos – I know, I’m an idiot for trying them. But I did. And they’re just not good. Everything about them just falls so short of the classic trademarked brand. Personally, I prefer the cookie—I think the cream is pretty overrated, but compared to Whole Foods’s “chocolate sandwich cremes,” the Oreo cream is heavenly. When you peel open an Oreo, the cream is a comforting, fluffy, immaculately white circle lying on one cookie. The Whole Foods cream—which they call frosting, so that should’ve been my first red flag, but alas, I was young and naive then—is a greasy sheet that’s not the pure white of a normal Oreo’s cream, but a translucent white. As it lies on the cookie, it’s becomes gray and hopeless and just appears much less appetizing than a real Oreo.

You might now be wondering how the cookie itself can fall so short. There’s something about the way a “chocolate sandwich creme” cookie breaks apart when you chew it that completely changes the Oreo-eating experience. Normal Oreo cookies are thicker and softer, while the Whole Foods brand cookies are much more crisp and dry (not in a good way). The difference is nearly impossible to put into words—so subtle, yet so profound.

Nevertheless, if worse comes to worst, Whole Foods brand Oreos are not completely revolting. If you really need an Oreo but all that you have access to in that moment is Whole Foods’s “chocolate sandwich cremes,” just coat the cookie in peanut butter (Jif—don’t get me started on peanut butter brands, now) and you can barely tell the difference.

Featured Graphic by Anna Tierney / Graphics Editor

About TU/TD 190 Articles
The best and worst of Boston College and more. Follow us on Twitter @BCTUTD.