Spring, Lacrosse

Previewing 2018 Lacrosse: San Diego State

After a dramatic overtime win over Southern California to open up a four-game road trip, second-ranked Boston College lacrosse is back in action on Saturday afternoon as it takes on San Diego State for the first time since 2014. The Aztecs (5-2) are winners of three in a row, but will have to contend with the white-hot Eagles (8-0, 1-0 Atlantic Coast), who are off to their best start since 2015.

Who is BC playing?

San Diego State

When is BC playing?

Saturday, March 10, 3 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Aztec Lacrosse Field, San Diego, Calif.

How to Watch:

A stream provided by SDSU is available to watch on YouTube, here.

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) Sam Apuzzo has recorded four or more points in all eight of the Eagles’ games this season—and hasn’t been held to less than a hat trick since the season opener in Notre Dame.

2) BC’s electric offense has only continued to climb in the national rankings, currently sitting in fourth with a 17.0 goals per game average—just 1.4 off the pace set by No. 8 Syracuse.

3) More on the offense—the Eagles have yet to be outshot in game this season and are averaging a decisive 36-22 edge in shots. Last time out against USC, BC narrowly came away with a 25-24 edge, ultimately winning in overtime.

SDSU:

1) The Aztecs are closing out a four-game homestand and have won all three of the previous games—knocking off unranked foes in Niagara, Presbyterian, and St. Bonaventure by a combined 59-21 margin.

2) SDSU boasts five double-digit scorers, paced by midfielder Jill Haight with 20 goals. Harlow Steele (14 goals), Grace McGinty (11), Kirstie Greenlaw (11), and Natalie Peel (10) round out the diverse attack.

3) Goalkeeper Katy Sharetts allowed 16 goals against Niagara, but had been stellar leading up to the narrow two-score win. Sharetts earned national recognition for her efforts against No. 21 Denver and No. 20 Colorado the week prior, and currently ranks eighth in the country in saves.

Last Meeting:

The two teams haven’t squared off since their inaugural meeting, over three years ago. On March 7, 2014, BC beat the Aztecs on the road, 18-11. Covie Stanwick totaled seven points on five goals and two assists in the win for the Eagles, who had lost just one game at the time and were ranked seventh in the country. Kate Weeks also chipped in a hat trick.

BC wins if…

It keeps up its torrid offensive pace. The Eagles haven’t cleared the 14-goal mark in their last two games, but one was the product of a relaxed second half against Binghamton and the other was against a top-25 team in the Trojans. BC has the offensive weapons to outscore the Aztecs, averaging a full two more goals per game. If Apuzzo continues to lead the offense and Tess Chandler keeps piling up goals—she’s up to 14 in her return from a season-ending leg injury last season—the Eagles will be in good shape.

BC loses if…

It can’t contain the SDSU’s well-balanced attack and fizzles out on the road. The Eagles are coming off a back-and-forth overtime win, so this is a gut-check game for the top-five team. The Aztecs hung with ranked foes in Colorado and Denver, losing by five in both, so BC could suffer a setback on the road. It’ll come down to whether SDSU betters its season average for goals and buckles down on the other end of the field to eke out the win.

Featured Image by Bradley Smart / Heights Editor