Art Club Community Exhibit Illustrates Detailed Perspectives

Art Club

When walking around Boston College or elsewhere in this world, one may be struck with one idea, while someone else fixates on another. Art is the best lens to explore these differences. On a snowy winter’s day, one may be struck with the clean, surreal white of the snowfall. Another may be captivated by the shadows of the falling flakes as they flutter silently to the ground. The Art Club’s community exhibit explored subtle differences like these and more at this year’s Arts Fest.

Roots by Shirley Lin, MCAS ’20, adopts an almost Lovecraftian look in the compelling acrylic painting. An indiscernible, eerie quality sweeps over the piece as it depicts what appear to be roots jettisoning upward out of a green void. Around this green abyss of tendrils, rocks and wooden objects frame the rest of the painting. The piece is otherworldly, eliciting feeling of intrigue and uneasiness as one wonders from what place in time the image hails.

A photo series by Shan Z. Rizwan, MCAS ’21, documents various scenes around BC’s campus. One, Gasson Hall in Yellow, is a quintessential Gasson shot that is made harrowing through what appears to be a yellowish filter. The sky is made bleak and imposing around the already heavy gaze of the tower. Two other pieces, In the Snowstorm and Trudging through the Snow, capture wistful snowy days on campus. The depth of the Stokes Quad is beautifully illustrated in Trudging as one single figure is seen deep within the frame, roaming through an abandoned snowy walkway. The bluish haze dominating the picture evokes a solemn notion of isolation in a place we have all seen overflowing with bodies and backpacks.

The oil paintings Essentials by Alli Urbon, CSOM ’18, depict a slew of objects many girls at BC would not be seen without, including boots, nail polish, a Starbucks coffee, and a BC hat. All the paintings are dominated by the color purple, which seems to unify them in theme. Though each held for a different purpose, the common color seems to suggests that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole as we pull ourselves together each day.

The photo works of Kate Mahoney, MCAS ’20, are separate, but equally compelling works. Faces stitches several photos of facial features together to create one unified visage. The amalgam, though clearly a patchwork individual, is not all that unsightly, suggesting that, even in our differences, we are more alike than not. Ring Pop, depicting Mahoney herself, shows her in the streets with a red ring pop on her hand, as she lowers equally rouge glasses from the bridge of her nose. The relatively neutral colors elsewhere in the photo, including her own black-and-white clothes, draw attention to the vibrant color and make for a captivating photo that knows how to attract attention.

The whole of the exhibit was a marvelous show of talent from those within the community, but moreover, it highlighted the value of perspective. The different lenses, through which we all look, create and capture different things. Whether through paint on canvas, or a duly timed photo, how someone is looking at the world matters far more than the world itself.

Featured Image by Jacob Schick / Heights Editor

About Caleb Griego 152 Articles
Caleb Griego is the arts & review editor of The Heights. He has put his earphones through the wash at least a dozen times and they still work. He still doesn't know who to thank, so he prays to all deities just to be safe.