Chamber Music Society Stuns With Skill on Strings

Chamber Music Society

The Boston College Chamber Music Society, directed by Sandra Hebert, performed four pieces during its concert at Arts Fest. The event focused on duos of either two violinists or a violinist and a pianist.

The first piece, Beethoven’s “Sonata in A Major, op. 30, No. 1,” was played by Elizabeth Allen, MCAS ’21, on the violin and Alexis Wisdom, MCAS ’21, on the piano. They performed the sonata with an impressive mastery of the music. The trance-inducing, rolling piano parts were smooth, seemingly conversing with and responding to the violin parts. The ending of the sonata was jubilant, as the tension that had built up throughout was resolved.

Next, Annie Kim, MCAS ’18, and Gabriel Valle, MCAS ’20, both played violins in a contemporary piece by by Whitman Brown called “Five Short Pieces for Two Violins.” Written this year, Brown’s piece does not sound like typical classical music. Kim started out by plucking the strings on her violin, making an unusual sound that was both intriguing and strange. Valle followed in her lead. As the title suggests, the composition was made of five separate pieces. The pauses between each felt strange, but also created a greater suspense within the performance, as the audience did not know what was coming next.

The third piece was “Scherzo in C Minor” by Johannes Brahms. It featured Kim on the violin and Hebert on the piano. The piece was faster and flowed more than the previous two. It was intensely suspenseful at times and smooth and flowing at others. This piece was easily the most engaging and interesting to listen to.

Lastly, Kim, Valle, and Herbert played Bach’s “Concerto for two violins in D Minor, BWV 1043.” The three-part concerto was composed of Vivace, Largo ma non tanto, and Allegro. The Vivace part was upbeat, lively, and flowing. “Largo ma non tanto” was slower, sad sounding, and seemingly longer. The Allegro ending was jubilant, faster, and happy. This performance was particularly impressive not only because of the mastery of the music, but also the length of the concerto, which easily lasted more than 15 minutes.

Featured Image by Celine Lim / Heights Staff

About Emily Himes 49 Articles
Emily is the Assistant Arts Editor for The Heights. She is from Miami, FL. She enjoys country music, bad television, long walks on the beach, and "The Piña Colada" song. Contact her (please) at [email protected] Complain to [email protected]