Arts, Television, Arts Features

Spending Summer Watching the Small Screen

With no school, streaming services and cable will be your salvation from the summer heat. Spend your free time this summer watching shows like Arrested Development and television movies like Fahrenheit 451.

Arrested Development Season 5 – Jack Miller

This summer, Netflix is expected to release the most ambitious crossover of the year: Arrested Development Season 5. After being torn apart by some light treason, the financial crisis, and a massive wall spanning the the U.S.-Mexican border (the producers called their shot back in 2013), the narcissistic and eccentric Bluth clan will finally reconvene. And if you haven’t seen the show before, have no fear—Netflix has all four seasons available. The show is at its best when it sets up seemingly small jokes that return with a vengeance episodes or even seasons later, and its new easily bingeable packaging can only help. The show follows the Bluths, hilariously played an absolutely star-studded cast: Jason Bateman, Michael Cera, Jeffrey Tambor, Tony Hale, Portia de Rossi, Will Arnett, Jessica Walter, Jeffrey Tambor (again), David Cross, Alia Shawkat, and the omniscient Ron Howard. The latest season suffered a little simply because it was difficult to bring so many busy names back together, but Bateman promised in an interview that season five would be a return to the original family dynamic, with the added twist of a good ol’ fashioned murder mystery. Tune in or make a huge, tiny mistake.

Fahrenheit 451– Colleen Martin

HBO is set to release Fahrenheit 451—a film based on the Ray Bradbury novel following the inner turmoil of one “fireman” (Michael B. Jordan) as he tries to navigate his way through a world where he is ordered to burn books and the government rewrites history—on May 19 at 8 p.m. The film, which was written and directed by Ramin Bahrani, will star Jordan as Guy Montag, Michael Shannon as Captain Beatty, Sofia Boutella as Clarisse McClellan, and Lilly Singh as Raven.

“I have always loved Ray Bradbury’s prophetic novel Fahrenheit 451,” Bahrani told HBO.Two years ago, as I looked at the world around me, it seemed like the ideal time to do a modern interpretation.”

Along with McClellan, Montag begins to question his role in society, as well as the relationship his own wife has with the technology that permeates everyday life. The film follows Montag as he begins to resist the orders of his captain, Shannon, in order to explore the written works that are banned in his society.

The Tony Awards – Shannon Kelly

Are you as ready as I am to watch the number one event of the year—when the finest performances on Broadway are celebrated with more song, more dance, and more laughs, all on CBS, baby? No? All right. Well, the Tony Awards are on June 10, and it’s going to be great. Sara Bareilles and Josh Groban are replacing the now-creepy Kevin Spacey as hosts, thank God. Groban is one of the funniest people on Twitter, and Bareilles is one of the most talented people ever—she wrote the music and acted in the Tony Award-winning Waitress—so it’s going to be a good few hours of slightly dorky television. It’s also probably the best year to get into theatre, with the nominees featuring adaptations of mainstream classics like Mean Girls, SpongeBob SquarePants, and Frozen.

The Tick Season 2 – Caleb Griego

He’s big. He’s blue. And he’s back. The quirky and often times ludacris The Tick is back at Amazon for the rest of its first season and 2019 sophomore season. The first half of season 1 was rife with sharp wit and a likeable cast that made this comedic-superhero tale stand out from its contemporaries. This was in part thanks to the rapport between its stars. Peter Serafinowicz as the Tick, and Griffin Newman as Arthur, developed an uneasy friendship that led them in and out of trouble with an assortment of equally as colorful villains and anti-heros. Without a doubt, The Tick breathes life into the oversaturated genre by allowing forces other than drama and action dominate on screen. As the Tick squares up against the menacing Terror in the latter half of this first season, fans will feel refreshed, not because of the fantastical stakes, but because the show never takes itself too seriously.

Featured Image by Netflix